Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the forum and new to car building. Short of a wife I have built pretty much everything I have.

I am in search of and would like to build a 4 door Chevy Nova, preferably somewhere between 65-72. I have a wide range because I have been finding it difficult to find this car.

I was hoping you guys can help me out.

For starters, I have been searching on the internet for months. Are there any really good sources for project cars other than eBay and Craigslist.

Second.

I have been going back and forth through my research if I should start with a donor car, or just try to find the parts as I go.

I really want the car to stop and shuffle, but everyday drivable. I want A/C, power steering. I considered an LS motor through a donor car, or was recently considering a 350 with EFI.

While I get that building a car is an expensive project. I like to stick with the best bang for the buck strategy. Generally speaking what is the best way to go? All advice is welcome.

Lastly, are there any good building guide sites out there you guys can recommend that will help me get a better start to this project?

I am no stranger to body work, welding, and fabricating.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I would look at a couple of builds that are on going here on SNS. Sierra57 and turbohuf both of which are beautiful examples of what a 4 door can be with the imagination to dream it up.. SF hippie is also building a 4th gen 4 door that is in the earlie stages of his project but I think he has a pretty good game plan together that is all inclusive and very ambitious..

Personally, I’m a 1st gen fan but of the model years you have selected I would probably not do a 65 as there are an abundance of one year only parts that are hard to come by and are not reproduced.. 63 & 64 are significantly more plentiful and easier to find parts for.. For all intents and purposes, the 66/67 are mechanically very similar to the 62-65 vehicles with a different skin.. 68’s are another model year that have a notable amount of one year only pieces that might be difficult to find but as this generation shares many components with the F body platform going forward it is also compatible with a vast array of aftermarket support.. You really just have to settle on which one you prefer and then narrow down your search..

Welcome to the site..

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,321 Posts
I can't speak for Gen 1 or 2, but having those parts that are compatible from the F body sure helps with Gen 3 chassis builds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I will check out those posts.

I definitely have serviceability in mind. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that this think will be reliable like a Toyota or something.

Other than a 65 and 68 are their any other years I should try to avoid?

Also, while I search up those two projects you mentioned.

Is a donor car like a Camaro or some Chevy truck worth the trouble?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Donor vehicles can be worth while if you have something in mind but it is also easy to get side tracked when you start playing with cars. You might find that you have a donor car that moves it’s way up the ranks to something you end up making a build out of.. Ask me how I know..:devil:

I would decide what you want to build and how you want to build it then go out and find the one..

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
a 66-67 4 door should be pretty easy to find for a fair price. also there is lots of repop parts places selling aftermarket parts for these 2 years. look in the wanted part of this forum an post the car your looking for, there just might be some one in here with a nova sitting unfinished in just the condition your looking for. i'm not sure but you might need a few more post to post in the wanted adds. good luck finding the nova you want.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

That is a great suggestion. I will do that now.

I have three motorcycles to build this year. Two I have to finish and one that my buddy just crashed.

My goal is to have that work done by February-March... which means May, June. Then I will start working on a car.

I would like to have the car before then so I can start looking for parts and making a good solid plan.

I would like to think I could build the car I would like to have in two years for 15K.. which means it will take four years and 30K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So, the site wont let me post in the Wanted section. I need to have a minimum of 25 posts.

....:turn:.... I have a plan :yes:!

My plan did not work..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seriously after all that I still can't post a wanted add.

It's like this forum is trying to prep me with the love hate relationship I will have with this project..

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
To get your 25 post count, they need to be meaning full posts! Join in with others and add to discussions. It don't take long. BUT the way you did it IS NOT ALLOWED. Sorry to spoil your day, just do as all the others have done and make yourself part of the family.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sigh....

oh well.

So, I'm may not get to post a "wanted add' for a while. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Any good websites where I can find these cars. Typically what I do is go to Google and search "4 door Nova for sale" every once in a while I find a hit. Often that add is out of date, or the person does not get back to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
you'll get there with the count soon. make a positive comment to someone else in their build, or give a good welcome on someone new joining the site. some times it feels like all your doin' is spinning the tires then just like that you get traction an away you go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the support!

I am a doctoral student in education (don't be too impressed) along with all the other crap I do. So, I am used to spinning my wheels and getting no where.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
mromaus

look in the 3rd gen section -- (this section here) .

At the top of this section .... "68 - 74 4door Nova Pictures" ....

might get some other ideas ...... free to look at 'em all .

I have a '73 Nova "Parts Car - 4 dr - trunk type car" ................

but, I'm keeping it --- and, it's not too good (body wise) .

It does have a 250 I-6 , w/ TH-350 trans (it runs) ....... and, I using parts from it ........ jim

1 - 20 of 43 Posts