Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I was going to pull the front end out of my 68 soon and you posted step by step instructions on how to replace spindles. I made a copy and followed them to a T and every thing came out perfect.

The drum brakes got to go. Anyone need a bunch of orginal brake parts?

Notice the clamp on the brake line and chain on the coil spring

I went a little further than just pulling the spindles. The ramp is there just in case it falls maybe it will give me enough room to survive. Man I need a lift.

Any sugestions on how to get the bushings out of the A-arms? That top deal looks like it is going to be tough.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
In all honesty, I found it easier to pay the local garage to do it (I broke my vise trying to use it as a press!:(). If you have an older local garage around take it there, they usually enjoy working on the older parts.

I'm glad that write up helped, it's NPHNP at it's best!:yes:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
wow, some great pictures showing the 68 style control arm bumper bracket on the subframe. i could use that to show the subframe difference on my subframe tread!

to remove the lower control arm bushings, drill holes in the rubber part using a 15/64" drill bit until you can push out the center sleeve by hand. then collaspe the bushing shell a little bit with a cheisel in a few spots, preferably near the edge, and then tap out the sleeve with a hammer. be careful not to bend or damage the control arm while doing this however..... work slow and easy :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
to get them bushings out,,,you gotta burn em out, oxy acetylene torch the rubbers then takea air chisel and fold the metal cup in on it's self then they come right out, an old street rodder taght me that and it works the best i have found

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
In all honesty, I found it easier to pay the local garage to do it. If you have an older local garage around take it there, they usually enjoy working on the older parts.

I'm glad that write up helped, it's NPHNP at it's best!:yes:
Son, like tas3 recommends, lets use George Barton's repair shop to replace the bushings - I know he has a press
he knows old cars.

I can help clean and paint the parts.

Dad

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Son, like tas3 recommends, lets use George Barton's repair shop to replace the bushings - I know he has a press
he knows old cars.

I can help clean and paint the parts.

Dad

Do as your Father hath Commanded :devil: :D.

Tommy :)

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those rubber brake lines were so swollen that very little came out of them and what did was a rusty mess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts