Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, rebuilt the TH400 for the 68. Reason of was the housing in the 68 was broken and I had another casing for it. I went through everything on the trans and modified the valvebody and plate, Switched all the cluthes with Kevlar and new plates, Put all new seals in and assembled the trans. After assembling the trans I realized I needed to switch the drive gear on the output shaft for the New gear ratio. Ok, I never had to switch a drive gear on a 400 before but this 400 tailshaft is a 67 tailshaft and the drive gear is pressed on. Please dont tell me I have to take the trans all apart again to press off the old gear and new one on!!! :mad: Is there another way???? I have the new gear and it is a press on as well. What do I have to do?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Is it a plastic gear like a T-350? They are a slip on with a retainer clip that holds them in place.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nope, steel gear with no metal retainer. And It is not the governor gear I am looking at. It is the Speedo gear. Heres a link to a pic of the gear:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=12

I am hoping I dont have to take this damn trans all apart again but it looks like I know what I will be doing tomorrow. I was gonna die grind a notch in the old gear to get it off but I am afraid that if I pound the new gear on, It may throw off the tailshaft or tolerances I have in the trans.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Al. I ended up cutting the old gear off with a Dremel tool as I was afraid to get to much heat on the shaft of the trans and having heat traveling into the trans. After The old one came off, I heated the new gear with a propane torch and it went right on. Thanks again. Trans is done!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is there a shoulder on the shaft that stops the gear from going too far? I will be changing mine soon and this thread is a great help.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a shoulder where the shaft starts to get larger where the governor gear is located. Mine was not all the way up against it originally though. I marked where my old gear was with a metal scripe and dye. Could probably mark where it went with a thin magic marker unless you are gonna heat the old gear to get off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts