Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 4L80, controller and torque converter and mentioned selling it to me. I need to replace my TH350 and it's either going to be a 4L80 or TH400 but I guess I'm just not sure which one would suit me better. This is a street car with a 650hp N/A small block and 3.73s. Weighs about 3185 as it sits. I always thought the overdrive would be nice. Who's got an opinion one way or the other? I'm on the fence here.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I don’t know anything about OD transmissions but you can’t go wrong with a well built t-400 especially at 650hp. Mine was a manual valve body/ transbrake setup trans with a stock planetary and gear set. Worked great at 1000hp.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you really get your car out and drive it there is nothing you can bolt on it or in it that will make it more enjoyable to drive than a over drive transmission. It keeps your engine in a decent rpm while cruising which in turn make it a lot more fun to drive while making it last longer also.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,760 Posts
I was just going to say the same thing as g2072 stated above.
I don't have a 4L80... but I do have a "well built" 2004R OD Trans and it was one of the best upgrades
I made to my Nova. Highway driving is now a pleasure.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
it's as much work to change a 350 tranny out an install a 400 as it is to install an OD tranny.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had a 4L80 in my 72 behind an Ls setup. It was great having overdrive. My buddies were jealous when we went on cruises because they would burn through a lot more gas than I did, granted I also had fuel injection. I didn't have to modify the floor at all to fit the 4L80 either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I currently have a th400 and am considering switching to a 4l80e because i want the overdrive badly. Alot of cars need tunnel modification to for the overdrive tranny. Personally if I could get a 80e with known history and the controller I'd be all over it

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
4l80e is legit
I’ve had a 700r4. Not trustworthy for high horsepower. I have a 4l880 in my 66 driven ALL over the country for race events
I’m spoiled now. It’s single clutch circle d lock up converter works beautifully. Set to lock up at 50mph. Ahhhh! 4.10 gears, 70mph on the highway at 2700-2800rpm.
you could get a gear vendors to put behind the 400. Both are heavier than the 350 and have more parasitic loss.

if you can make it happen- 4l80e for the win!

·
Registered
442 Posts
An overdrive will save you a ton of wear and tear on the engine (think: piston speed when cruising), you'll reduce the noise in the cabin, and with the way cost of fuel is going... you'll be saving some coin to put back in your wallet. Unless you plan on building a track rat where it's only purpose is to go up and down the track and never using the OD, there is literally no downside.

Go with the 4L80E. You're basically installing a Turbo 400 with another gear. I have 3.73's and a 28" tall rear tire on my car, and it sucks going down 490 for any length of time past 10 minutes. The next "big upgrade" for my car will be a manual transmission with something beyond a 1:1 final drive.

And, hey, you're local to me... if you pass on the 4L80E, let me know, so I can go scoop it up! :whistle:

·
Registered
165 Posts
4l80e is legit
I’ve had a 700r4. Not trustworthy for high horsepower. I have a 4l880 in my 66 driven ALL over the country for race events
I’m spoiled now. It’s single clutch circle d lock up converter works beautifully. Set to lock up at 50mph. Ahhhh! 4.10 gears, 70mph on the highway at 2700-2800rpm.
you could get a gear vendors to put behind the 400. Both are heavier than the 350 and have more parasitic loss.

if you can make it happen- 4l80e for the win!

Just curious about your 4l80e. Where did you get it, how much power are you putting through it and how are you controlling it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
A friend of mine has a 4L80, controller and torque converter and mentioned selling it to me. I need to replace my TH350 and it's either going to be a 4L80 or TH400 but I guess I'm just not sure which one would suit me better. This is a street car with a 650hp N/A small block and 3.73s. Weighs about 3185 as it sits. I always thought the overdrive would be nice. Who's got an opinion one way or the other? I'm on the fence here.
Aftermkt controllers for 4l60 , 65 , 80, 85 e trans offer tuning the trans to your preferance. You'll enjoy just driving and setting it up. 4l80 trans will fit any car where TH400 was an option. Others may need addl tunnel mods with a hammer, etc. Since 4l80 is basicly a th400 w/OD it can B modded for same yuge power th400's can handle, including triple disc lock-up converters. The benifit of OD on road trips will bring a smile to your face. You're gonna like it.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I was just going to say the same thing as g2072 stated above.
I don't have a 4L80... but I do have a "well built" 2004R OD Trans and it was one of the best upgrades
I made to my Nova. Highway driving is now a pleasure.
I've got a 62 nova with turbo 350. I want a 220r4 where did you purchase, and what stall?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,760 Posts
I want a 200r4. Where did you purchase, and what stall?
I purchased my 2004R trans from CK Performance. I have a 2800-3000 stall custom Street Edge converter.
I have been very happy with both.

·
Registered
1970 Nova ZZ502/TH400
210 Posts
4L80 is basically a TH400 with overdrive and computer control. They can be built to handle over 1200hp. Plus with electronic control you can adjust shift points and convertor lock up to get decent fuel mileage with a high performance engine. I was going that route, but I decided since I already had a beefy TH400 with manual valve body etc., I would be more cost effective to just add a GearVendors OD to my TH400. I was looking at Hughes 4L80 package and it was going to run about $5k for trans to handle 850hp (after adding crossmember and controller costs).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts