Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im pulling the transmission out of my car this weekend to put the other converter in, any advice or tips. Also, how much does a th350 weigh? I have a motorcycle jack that I think will go high enough to use, but if i cant, could a friend and I get it down with a floor jack?

thanks
-Dan

I think Ill make a list of what i have to do.
-Remove the drive-shaft
-Unbolt the converter from the flexplate
-Remove cooling lines, linkage to shifter, fill tube, speedo cable
-support the motor and unbolt the trans from the block
-remove crossmember and lower with jack

Anything I miss?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
not sure on weight but its not that bad to r&r should be fairly easy, i switched to a th400 and it almost killed me!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
When I was younger I wrestled a many transmissions, even a TH400!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
a dry t350 and no converter.. about 95 to 110..(guessing) loaded with fluid and converter... 150 to 175..(guessing again)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just did it, about how you had planned, except I undid the crossmember, and supported the tranny with a floor jack, and I had an additional floor jack in from the front supporting the back of the engine with a 2x4 between the pan and the jack, this allowed us to "tilt" the whole works as needed.....

Sounds like you are on the right track, and it really wasn't too bad....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just did it, about how you had planned, except I undid the crossmember, and supported the tranny with a floor jack, and I had an additional floor jack in from the front supporting the back of the engine with a 2x4 between the pan and the jack, this allowed us to "tilt" the whole works as needed.....

Sounds like you are on the right track, and it really wasn't too bad....
Ok, sounds good. I did have a few questions regarding the converter. When I install the converter, I should feel two clicks when pushing and turning the converter in. That tells me it is seated all the way in, correct? Also, if i have more the 3/16 of an inch between the converter and the flywheel, I can use flatwashers to make up the difference?

Oh, does anyone have to torque specs from the converter to the flywheel and the transmission to the block?

Thanks
-Dan

·
Registered
996 Posts
i'd say it's about 150lbs
i know you put it on the list but i always seem to forget to remove the speedo cable. never fails, i unhook everything and leave the speedo cable hooked up.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd say it's about 150lbs
i know you put it on the list but i always seem to forget to remove the speedo cable. never fails, i unhook everything and leave the speedo cable hooked up.
lol, I used to always forget to unhook the battery. When the alternator went bad in a camaro I had, i grabbed the wrong wire and it bit me hard when it touched the manifold. Needless to say, i dont forget the battery anymore.

-Dan

·
Registered
996 Posts
lol, I used to always forget to unhook the battery. When the alternator went bad in a camaro I had, i grabbed the wrong wire and it bit me hard when it touched the manifold. Needless to say, i dont forget the battery anymore.

-Dan
:yes: i used to forget the battery too, same thing happened to me and i will never forget that again.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, im having a little trouble getting the top few bolts that go into the block. My dad suggested a 3 foot extension and a swivel lol. Any other advice to get at them?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, im having a little trouble getting the top few bolts that go into the block. My dad suggested a 3 foot extension and a swivel lol. Any other advice to get at them?
i think i'm with your dad on this one.
except i use a swivel socket - 24" extension - swivel - 8" extension :D

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
some guys cut holes in the floor with a holesaw and fill them with rubber plugs when they're done. i think that's a good idea if you're doing it in a driveway.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
some guys cut holes in the floor with a holesaw and fill them with rubber plugs when they're done. i think that's a good idea if you're doing it in a driveway.
I am just about ready to do that. With the solid motor mounts the trans will not tilt at all and there isnt even enough room to get the bolts out of the holes. I guess I will have to take the motor mounts off and slide the motor forward a few inches too. Am I frustrated,,...? More then you know.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I finally got it out. Had to stop at sears and get a couple 20 inch extensions but that part is done now.

One thing I was curious about, has anyone used studs to attach the trans to the block? It might make it easier to get back in if I make some studs out of grade 8 bolts.

Ill take some pics of the mess in a bit. trans fluid everywhere. Another lesson learned, dont leave fluid in the trans because you are too cheap to go buy more. :no:

-Dan

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Yes I have.. but only on the 4 lower mounts/bolt holes, helped with installing too.....

remember. with studs, thy bellhousing must move rearward to engage the studs... and the floor pan becomes a problem:devil:....... with out the engine tiled rearward.. its not worth the headache

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I have.. but only on the 4 lower mounts/bolt holes, helped with installing too.....

remember. with studs, thy bellhousing must move rearward to engage the studs... and the floor pan becomes a problem:devil:....... with out the engine tiled rearward.. its not worth the headache
Yeah your right. I had enough trouble getting the bolts out as is. I think it will be fun getting this back in. I had a heck of a time by myself.

Anyways, new 10 inch converter installed (had a 12inch stock convereter I guess)

And the mess I made. From now on I will just drain it. :rolleyes:

-Dan

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I don't put the one bellhousing bolt back in. The one on top on the passenger side is such a b&*($ that I gave up on it. I also use a slightly shorter bolt on the top driver side bolt. I sit on top of the engine and can turn it with a normal box wrench or a clicker.

I've had the engine/trans out of the car like 10-12 times. I try to make it as easy as possible!!!

Kev

1 - 20 of 23 Posts