Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to get the motor and tranny combo together for my 63 wagon and as some here know I am making it a daily driver and will be putting a lot of miles on it so am looking for pulling power (small open trailor with tools) and good gas milage when not pulling. I hear that some are getting mid to low 20 mpg with a 350 and TH350 tranny. I would love to get mid 20 mpg out of it with the 350 engine and whichever tranny I use. I have a TH350 already but have been thinking that if I can find a cheap 200 or 700 r4 for cheap and have it rebuilt or even a rebuilt one without spending $2000 or more like I see around here then I would use it.
Which would you guys recommend here?

·
Registered
847 Posts
go with the 200 because:
-same overall dimensions as the TH350
-driveshaft will not have to be shortened
-only a crossmember has to be fabbed up(use thin exhaust tubbing)
-hook up the TCC solenoid or else the trans burns up without it:D

the 200 and 700 can be built to handle more. but just give the 200 the standard upgrades: 10 vane kit blah blah blah:D

http://www.cpttransmission.com/index.htm sells good 200s

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. How about the ratios on a 200 compaired to the 700 and 350? Does the 200 have the low first gear like the 700 or are they pretty much equal?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, how would something like this work out if I buy it and rebuilt it with new parts (upgrade kit) and light shift kit... http://hickory.craigslist.org/pts/1156660617.html
Do the 200's have more problems than the 700 or 350 do? I hear all sorts of mixed oppinions on the 700R4, some say they are junk, others say they will handle good power when beefed up and then for the 200's I hear some say they are OK and others say they are junk... :confused:
I like the fact that the 200-4r is the same size as the TH350, no shortening of the driveshaft, etc.

·
3,876 Posts
This has been discussed many times in the past and is actually being discussed in a few current threads. Give the search button a stab and see what you come up with.:D

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I would use your th350, they are strong and simple, just get a mild shift kit and rv/tow convertor and 18-20 mpg can be had, i see lots of money spent and debugging in changing to a 200/700.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would use your th350, they are strong and simple, just get a mild shift kit and rv/tow convertor and 18-20 mpg can be had, i see lots of money spent and debugging in changing to a 200/700.

you'll never get 18 to 20 mpg with a turbo 350 even with freeway gears. I have a turbo 350 in my 1970 chevelle wagon with a 400 sb. it gets 15 to 17 maybe. forget about that trans. go with the 200, 700 or even better 4l60e, 5 speed. debugging is not a prob. they have been out for so long and have so much advice and kits.

I agree... use the search button.:yes:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
you'll never get 18 to 20 mpg with a turbo 350 even with freeway gears. I have a turbo 350 in my 1970 chevelle wagon with a 400 sb. it gets 15 to 17 maybe. forget about that trans. go with the 200, 700 or even better 4l60e, 5 speed. debugging is not a prob. they have been out for so long and have so much advice and kits.

I agree... use the search button.:yes:
50 more cubes will kill mpg and 20 is possible if the engine is mild, 15-17 aint bad with a 400 and a 500lbs+ heavier chevelle wagon, i get 8 with a mild 454.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. I did do a search and read a few different threads on the specific tranny but started this for a comparison of all of them in one thread. That is the only reason I started it.
As for the TH350 I know some here said they are running a 350 with TH350 and getting low to mid 20's and said they can get more with an overdrive but I am trying to find out if it's worth all the extra money for an extra 1 to 3 MPG (this is what I heard I will gain if I switch so I am not sure).

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Sounds good. How about the ratios on a 200 compaired to the 700 and 350? Does the 200 have the low first gear like the 700 or are they pretty much equal?
700R has the lowest 1st gear. 200R is between a 700R and TH350.

the OD is the way to go for milage, but if you're towing any kind of weight, don't do it in OD or you will burn up the trans.

also use a big trans cooler if you can. TV cable set up and temp is key to them surviving.

all are good tranny's, just use whatever one you can find

I would'nt use a 4L60E because you will need a computer. That will just add to the expense. Good trans, but not what you need.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did do a search and read a few different threads on the specific tranny but started this for a comparison of all of them in one thread. That is the only reason I started it.
As for the TH350 I know some here said they are running a 350 with TH350 and getting low to mid 20's and said they can get more with an overdrive but I am trying to find out if it's worth all the extra money for an extra 1 to 3 MPG (this is what I heard I will gain if I switch so I am not sure).
if someone is getting this kind of milage, then it's not a typical result. I would say mid-hi teens is more likely with a mild set up. Maybe a 283 with a 2bbl might get low 20's.

don't expect that kind of milage because someone else say's they get it. there are a lot of factors that determine good economy.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good, I appreciate the info. I will see if I can fine and afford the 200 and if so then I think that is what I will go with unless I find a 700R4 first. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts