Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a th350 transmission today. There is a chip in the top of the bellhousing. It is about 3 inches long and about one inch into the bell. Will this be a major problem. I think that I may rebuild it if it will be useable. I have never worked on a transmission and will have to figure out what parts I need to rebuild. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit that has everything? It seems like there is a big price difference. There is a kit on Oregonperformance.com that looks pretty good:

69-79 TH350 Transmission Master Rebuild Kit
Price: $86.55
69-79 TH-350 Transmission Master Rebuild Kit. These kits include all Borg Warner clutches, a full Transtec gasket & seal kit, band, filter, front & rear bushings, and a vacuum modulator when applicable.

Does this kit seem to be complete?
I will probably need a converter as well. The transmission came with one but I know nothing about it.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
rebuild

Good luck with your rebuild. Once you get started post pics and updates. I'm planning on finding a cheap t350 to rebuild myself as well just for the learning experiance.

·
3,862 Posts
Get Ron Session's book "Turbo Hydra-Matic 350" by HP Books. The best single source reference for this transmission.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already ordered the book. I think that I am going to buy a rebuild kit from Oregon Performance and a shift kit and basic converter and then just go from there. I am a little worried about the chip in the bell housing but a friend of mine who knows about cars told me that it should be fine b/c I am not building a strip car.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
For the one year I had my car running and in the road, it had a similar chip in the bellhousing and was actually missing a section with one of the bolts. Happened when I was installing the motor and already had the trans in there. Motor somehow "swung" into the bellhousing and chipped off a piece. It was about a 3" x 4" section of the upper left bolt area.

Anyway, installed the thing, with chip and minus one bellhousing bolt, and never had an issue. Car got beat on pretty good too.

With my current restoration, I had a trans guy with a good casing rebuild my components and install them into the newer casing (no crack). Traded him a Turbo 400 I had lying around for his parts and services.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I would think it would be ok as long as you are not drag racing with a transbrake or some high hp motor. I have bought several kits from oregon performance and have had nothing but good luck with them. I built a 350 turbo that went behind a 468 in a mud truck with all stock internal hard parts. I used a Hughes master kit and manual valve body. I did not know it was going behind a big block when I built it and it is still running today, 2 years later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts