Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
73 Nova / 2-door /350 engine / TH350 Auto Trans / Trans cooler / long tube headers.

What type of transmission coolant lines are you guys using? Hard, steel braided or rubber? I recently added a trans cooler because my radiator was full of brown bubbling rust, which I also replaced. The hard lines are screwed into a brass fitting that screws into the transmission. It appears a leak is coming from the return line. It's difficult to test because the passenger side headers are in the way of where the lines attach to the transmission.

Should there be an o-ring or gasket the goes between the hard line fitting and the brass fitting that screws into the trans?

I have a pair of braided transmission lines but the fittings leak. Is there a correct way to attach a trans cooler with fittings that will not leak? Or a brand of fittings that are known to be superior? Every trans cooler setup I've seen looks rigged with rubber hoses going over clamped over hard lines.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use hard lines from the trans to the front of the head, made a block to mount the brass fittings for the hard lines and the AN fittings for the flex hoses to go to the cooler up front.

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
I ran black 6 AN lines on my car. I also bought a Derale transmission cooler with a fan and temp mounted fan switch and mounted it under the car. No lines come to the front of the car. Really helps clean up the engine compartment and so far I have over three thousand miles on it with no problems. Fluid isn't burnt and everything seems happy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-481670-bl/overview/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts