Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you get It.
What kind of power are you putting to it.
If you got it from BowTie OD do you have the stage 1 ,2,3?
If you replaced a 350TH was it very hard of a swap?

Was it worth it... I want Overdrive to save some cash at the pump... And to have a project for the winter.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i dont have one but i know it uses the same x member and yolk the 350 does so it should drop right in :) and from what i have read in chevy hi perfomance it can be a stouter tranny than the 700r4 with minimal work.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have a 2004R that a local shop built for me. I have yet to run it. All mock up work is done. Trans tunnel and header clearance was no problem. I purchased a crossmember from Bowtie Overdrive. Very clean setup. The crossmember is prebent on both sides for plenty exhaust clearance. I am running a small block with a Procharger. I will find out real quick if that tranny will hold up.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
I just bought one from an ebay seller, Megamax Transmissions out of Hollywood, Florida. It's a gamble, but I'll do my best to check and see that they do the mods to it that they claim. My engine should come in at 350-400hp. They claim it to be capable of handling upwards of 500hp, and this is in a 63, so I'm getting the BTO crossmember and TV linkage as well. The general consensus on the 200-4R is, they got a bad rap early on for durability issues, but if you build them right, they are just as tough as the 700R4. The fact that the turbo Buick guys often go over 600hp is a good testament to that. The reason I went with Megamax is purely financial. Again, if they live up to their advertising, I got the equivalent of a level 2 Bowtie Overdrives box for $1015, including shipping and 2000 stall converter. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I run one for about a year, with no problems.

I got it from Gear Star Performance in Akron Ohio.

The motor's making about 350HP, and 400-450 FT Lbs of torque without the NOS.

You need a new trans crossmember, but the TH350 driveshaft will work.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow Gear Star is right near me Too bad they are to darn exspensive.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I got a BTO 200-4r last November. It is a stage 2. I replaced a TH350. Swap was simple mechanically. Crossover was replaced with one supplied by BTO. I'm sure it is a TH400 crossover. No change in driveshaft. I strongly suggest a TV Made EZ setup. It solves a lot of setup issues (it did for me cause I'm an idiot with trannys). I also got their 2400 stall converter.

It sits behind a 406 sbc. Dyno'd at 376HP. 412lb-ft torque (Flywheel).

I am still waiting for enough money to install a new wiring harness so it hasn't seen any road time to get a good mpg figure.

I think the problem with installing your tranny is that you also support the warranty on it too. That means if if fails, you will be pullng it and working on it or returning it to BTO with all the shipping costs, etc. That is the biggest drawback.

Overall, it is a quality unit and I am happy with the way it set up. The road test is next for me.
Rod

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Pro-touring72 said:
Wow Gear Star is right near me Too bad they are to darn exspensive.
If you are interested, ask for Zach tell him Dave Stoker referred you. He may cut you a deal.

The reason he's expensive is he uses parts that nobody else does. He also dynos every trans, and they make they're own converters.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This thread was started with good timing, as I am getting ready to get a 200r4 as well, with these crazy gas prices!

What I was wondering was how big of a mpg gain did you guys see after swapping over to the 200.

Also, if anyone can recommend any local shops in the So. Cal, that would be good as well. I know there's one shop I spoke to out at the Pomona show, but can't recall their name.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Blk65 said:
This thread was started with good timing, as I am getting ready to get a 200r4 as well, with these crazy gas prices!

What I was wondering was how big of a mpg gain did you guys see after swapping over to the 200.

Also, if anyone can recommend any local shops in the So. Cal, that would be good as well. I know there's one shop I spoke to out at the Pomona show, but can't recall their name.
Actually, I don't know if my gas milage changed at all. When I went to the 200, I also upgraded to a higher stall converter. So around town, my gas milage got worse, but my highway milage got better. I think the average is the same as it was with the 350. But I can run at about 80 at 2,300 RPM.

If you want somebody good in So-Cal, I've used Chino Hills Transmissions alot in the past. They also built the TH350 I had. They're in Chino, ask for Greg.

·
Registered
94 Posts
undercvrSS said:
If you want somebody good in So-Cal, I've used Chino Hills Transmissions alot in the past. They also built the TH350 I had. They're in Chino, ask for Greg.
How strong of a 200r4 did you get? What did you pay for it w/ convertor, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a 200 from BTO last fall. Got the 2400 stall with 3:73 gears. Level 2. 327 (330hp) It performs great. When just driving around it shifts smooth and soft. Lay into it and it will chirp upshifting. I also recommend the TV made easy and the shift works kit if using a stock shifter. Got the BTO crossmember.

Only issue I have is pan leakage. Had it off twice to change the gasket. Cannot get it to seal. Really getting pissed. Only thing I have not done is seal the bolts. Dont know if they go through the case.

I am currently thinking of going to a Muncie. This is a GREAT automatic but still not a 4 speed. Now that they repo the console.

·
Registered
94 Posts
undercvrSS said:
I work for Primedia.
Hell, ask them if they need a janitor!!! :D

I've looked at BTO's trannys, but they're pretty pricey. I'm trying to budget this at $1500, including everything I need (crossmember, TV cable, fluid, etc). My motor is only about 360hp, and want the 200 for mostly highway driving, rather than racing.

Any other recommended tranny shops/builders?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Hey all, Just discovered this Chat, I have a BTO level 3, It is in a Pro Street 1976 Nova, I have a mild (Stock with headers and Intake and Holley) 350 Crate Engine and 4.56 rear gears. I got the Level 3 for the fact i hope to up the HP in future. I went from 8 mpg to 16mpg, Shifts great and I love it, Cost about 2 grand but well worth it, I would put my BTO up against any others. I did a ton of research and even thought about EBay and the other guys selling due to price, But after adding it all up really all worked out to be close to same in price. Remember what BTO includes some others charge seperate for so the end cost ends up the same.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts