Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased and disassembled a 73 Nova Custom. It had a 350cid, with a th350. The trans out of the car has a short tail shaft. I also recently purchased a performance th350 which was previously in a 4x4, it has a long tailshaft. I am confused as I thought the short shaft would have been in the 4x4 due to transfer case length and the long shafted trans should have come out of a 2wd car. Can someone help get me straight on this? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Most passenger cars come with a short shaft except the big cars like the Impalas and Caprices. They came with 350 long shafts and th375's. 2 wheel drive trucks also came with a long shaft 350. If the trans was out of a true 4x4, The trans would not have a tailshaft housing bolted on the end of the trans and it would have an extremely short output shaft so the transfer case can be bolted directly to the trans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the photo

The link to the 4x4 th350 is clearly not the same as either the short or long shaft I have. I have read also that I can swap the short shaft out of the original trans and put into the rebuilt trans which currently has the long shaft. Is this process true?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yes this process is true. I have done this multiple times. You will need to take all the internals out of the trans to get to the output shaft in order to swap the short shaft for the long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts