Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this transmission fluid line fitting that is stripped out and I'm trying to figure out the best way to extract it. It's very soft and looks like it has been rounded off so a wrench won't catch good enough to break it loose. Also the transmission is installed in my 63. If anyone has experienced this before and has some good advise I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks
20200706_151711.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Adjustable wrench or a pair of good vice grips. Your not going to reuse the fitting again so. I would also spray with WD 40 or Some type of bolt loosening spray.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I setting up to try that proven method out. Do you know if the newer lock-in fittings work for this old TH350 or are they only good for the newer transmissions?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I have never had a 350 trans before so I don't know if the newer fittings work on older trans. I would take the old fitting or the other one to the parts store and get two replacements. Napa is a good store for these fittings. Ask them if the newer
Thanks for the reply. I setting up to try that proven method out. Do you know if the newer lock-in fittings work for this old TH350 or are they only good for the newer transmissions?
fittings are the same. You can call first to see about the fittings...they will know and can save you a trip if they are.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
878 Posts
It looks to me like someone has screwed a 1/4" NPT threaded fitting into a 1/4" NPS hole. That's wrong and likely why you are having a hard time. As suggested give the case a little heat w/ a propane torch and maybe vicegrips. Go easy on both.
The correct NPS fittings might still work. Use the correct gaskets and some good sealer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It looks to me like someone has screwed a 1/4" NPT threaded fitting into a 1/4" NPS hole. That's wrong and likely why you are having a hard time. As suggested give the case a little heat w/ a propane torch and maybe vicegrips. Go easy on both.
The correct NPS fittings might still work. Use the correct gaskets and some good sealer.
Yep, those aren't the correct stock fittings....someone has monkey-rigged plain old tapered pipe inverted flare adapters in there.....you're lucky the adapters have never been overly tightened into the case, because if you go just a hair too far the tapered fitting threads will split the straight thread boss in the case like a log splitter. I had a buddy do it putting NPT adapters for AN braided line in his TH-400 case and found out the hard way they aren't NPT(National Pipe-Tapered) threads in the case....they are NPS(National Pipe-Straight).

Correct fittings have straight threads, a machined flat on the backside of the wrench flats on the fitting, and sealing crush washer to seal up against the flat machined face of the port on the case.
Notice they have a much thicker wall on the hex end.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about using a torch but won't it ignite the trans fluid? Never had to deal with this problem and only seems to be getting worse with each move I make. With the trans installed there's hardly any space to get a set of vise grips in. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
If its not stripped to badly a 6 point box end wrench might still work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
looks like the dipstick tube is no where close to being seated...but yes brass fittings from true value were the wrong stuff...I would worry about the case threads now...it may never stop leaking

·
Registered
237 Posts
Read Ericnova’s post again. You have no room for Visegrips, and setting your car on fire with a torch probably won’t help. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap set of 6 point sockets, metric might work, and drive one on the fitting and remove it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If there is no room for vicegrips how is there room to swing a hammer?
A fitting w/ a tapered pipe thread (NPT) has been screwed into a hole w/ straight pipe threads (SPT). Both have the same thread pitch. Even if the trans were laying on the ground I'd not pound anything over the fitting. The threads in the trans case are likely not damaged now, I'd not risk doing so.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can use a torch but torch the outside of the brass just to to heat it up and turn them they should come out easily. Don't worry about fire you won't be heating for more than 20 -30 seconds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A fitting w/ a tapered pipe thread (NPT) has been screwed into a hole w/ straight pipe threads (SPT). Both have the same thread pitch. Even if the trans were laying on the ground I'd not pound anything over the fitting. The threads in the trans case are likely not damaged now, I'd not risk doing so.

You should have enough room to TAP a six point socket on there, use a pry bar or something if necessary. Could always unbolt the crossmember and lower the back of the trans a little. 63 Chevies are very easy to wrench on, in general. Late models are a whole different deal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks like the dipstick tube is no where close to being seated...but yes brass fittings from true value were the wrong stuff...I would worry about the case threads now...it may never stop leaking
Yes been struggling with that dipstick seal for a while. Every time I seat the tubing the seal rides up to the top and will not stay in the groove. Frustrating. That's what I get for buying a cheap dipstick. I rebuilt the transmission myself and that was easier than getting that darn dipstick to keep from leaking. I'll be buying a more expensive one very soon. Lets hope the case threads will survive. Just wish I would've caught it sooner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can use a torch but torch the outside of the brass just to to heat it up and turn them they should come out easily. Don't worry about fire you won't be heating for more than 20 -30 seconds.
I'll try it out. Thanks for the reply. I ordered the fittings on ebay. They should be here this Friday.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
Yes been struggling with that dipstick seal for a while. Every time I seat the tubing the seal rides up to the top and will not stay in the groove. Frustrating. That's what I get for buying a cheap dipstick.
The trans dipstick tubes with the "O" ring seals are the worst.
When you purchase a replacement, be sure to get one with a rubber "sleeve/grommet" seal (shown below). Be sure to put the rubber seal into transmission before inserting the tube.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried that type of seal and it's too thick for the tube to seat. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it's tight.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,494 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts