Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.. hope someone can help.. I have a TH350 spitting trans fluid out the filler neck after test drive. I have checked the tranny vent and it is clear. checked the tranny fluid and it's about a quart low.. so that wouldn't do it (I think).. checked the tranny temp and it reads about 170-180.. that seems to be ok. checked for kinked pressure and return lines.. they are ok.. has a new alum radiator tranny fluid connectors at the bottom, new tranny cooler in series with return line back to tranny....pulled the pan to check the filter for clogging or misalignment.. just a tiny debris- not enough to cause this issue I wouldn't think...if it is not none of the above... I'm lost.. what else can it be?? your input/suggestions are sooooo welcomed.. thank you in advance, tony

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Spinning the transmission at high RPM, especially if low on fluid, can do it.
It can cause cavitation, and/or starvation. Both of which often result in foaming fluid that finds its way up the filler neck.

Were you a little "rowdy" on your test drive?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply.. I pull the plastic vent tube out to check it and it was clear.. also I lightly pushed some air through the venting hole in the side of the tranny and heard it come out on the inside.. so that was clear too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Squigie..thank you for the replay....Yes, maybe just a tiny bit Hank Jr. Rowdy test drive.. not too bad though. However, I see what you mean.. and yes .. it was low and I believe below the tube end level in the pan because only about 2+ a bit quarts drained out of the pan. Also the stance might be contributing to the issue..not sure though?.. this 52 chev 3100's front end is down about 2 maybe 3" more then the rear. Also, I had a fella ask if the tranny lines were backwards on the radiator but the guy at Champion said it didn't matter which way they went on. The hook ups are at the radiator bottom left and right.. I'm gonna put the pan back on and put some fluid in her and see from there... Care to chime in? Thank you so much for your help.. to all on this site..very helpful..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
question if I may.. you don't think the Vac Modulator would have anything to do with this isuue..?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phillip.. quick question. On the TH350 the tranny fluid line connectors on transmission running to the radiator are as follows: Bottom connector = Pressure Line HOT / Top connector = Return Cool

hope I'm right???

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Phillip.. quick question. On the TH350 the tranny fluid line connectors on transmission running to the radiator are as follows: Bottom connector = Pressure Line HOT / Top connector = Return Cool

hope I'm right???
Top is out.
Bottom is return.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man.. well I guess I have to switch the lines via my add on cooler so it will cool the return line coming back.. I wouldn't think that would cause to spitting out the filler tube.. especially if it were running about 180 degrees.. ??

·
Registered
928 Posts
thanks man.. well I guess I have to switch the lines via my add on cooler so it will cool the return line coming back.. I wouldn't think that would cause to spitting out the filler tube.. especially if it were running about 180 degrees.. ??
figure it out yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem solved.....yea!!!!

Just gave it a text run last night.... Squigie was spot on.. it was the cavitation, and/or starvation as he mentioned... after the fluid drain..measuring the fluid that came out..measuring the dip stick for accuracy then adding the fluid properly in tiny pints.. no more puking out of filler neck...problem solved.. thank you to all for your help.. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TH350..tranny lines which is which

yes.. after many comparisons, tech calls and diagrams- I finally found out which lines go where on the TH350. Seems nobody works on these anymore. I was told differently by multiple folks.. however it does matter which way you hook them up.. especially adding a cooler. TH350: Bottom Line Connection is Pressure (Hot) OUT and the Upper Line Connection is Return (Cool) IN. I have confirmed this and have installed them on my TH350 correctly while checking these lines because of thinking that these may be the cause to my spitting fluid out of the filler neck. But.. it wasn't and they are hooked up correctly... thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts