Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, thought I had a bad front/rear seal and it turns out the speedometer cable is loose where it threads into the tranny housing. It's like the cable is threaded on tight, but the piece it threads onto can turn easily. I don't need a speedometer cable. Does anyone make some type of plug for this? If not, what's loose in there?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That's called the bullet or gear holder. There's a flat and a little metal plate that has a 1/4-20 bolt holding it in place. If the plate is missing, you need to replace it. If the gear holder is damaged, the PN is in Best of Tech.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Paul Wright said:
That's called the bullet or gear holder. There's a flat and a little metal plate that has a 1/4-20 bolt holding it in place. If the plate is missing, you need to replace it. If the gear holder is damaged, the PN is in Best of Tech.
There's a 7/16 bolt head holding a little tab in place where the speedometer cable threads on. Is this the part you are talking about? http://www.powerandperformancenews....=TC&Product_Code=880021&Category_Code=TRNCOMP

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Yes that's the gear holder, housing or "bullet" depending on what you call it.
If that's spinning when you tighten the fitting then something is wrong. Double check that plate is engaging the flat properly.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul Wright said:
Yes that's the gear holder, housing or "bullet" depending on what you call it.
If that's spinning when you tighten the fitting then something is wrong. Double check that plate is engaging the flat properly.
Your're talking about the checking that small tab with the bolt running through it , just above where the speedo cable threads on?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Dave, that bolt holds the plate which is in a groove in the bullet... prolly the bullet's O ring is bad...

remove bolt, remove little plate and pull out the bullet. the plastic speedo gear is inside the back end of the bullet

the little tab would prolly let the bullet spin slightly, but not like a 1/4 turn... just a slight amount...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
If you remember I had the same problem last year. I got a new "Bullet" from Novarod and that solved my leak. I think I re-theaded the bolt hole that Pauls talking about also cause mine was getting kinda stripped and not holding tight enough.

I just dropped the driveline, let whatever fluid drain out the tail end, then pulled the bullet out, no more fluid came out after that. :)

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
if theres tranny fluid in the cable(leaking on the drivers floor) its the seal thats in the center of the bullet.you need to replace that seal and it will take a while of all the fluid to work its way out of the cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts