Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO after installing a new manifold and reconnecting everything and then retiming the motor since i put it in "off", everything works, but the tranny wont shift right. It wont shift right as in it goes off in 1st and wont shift up. I can manually shift up still.

I'm fairly sure that the cuase is me putting the kickdown cable back on the carb "off". I was wondering what would be the approximate position needed for proper automatic shifting?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
The kickdown cable only does anything at the END of its travel, assuming it's connected to the switch inside the trans. When the slack is gone in the cable at the end of the travel, it forces the TH350 to shift DOWN one gear.

Nothing about the TH350 kickdown cable mechanism would keep the trans from shifting from gear to gear, even when completely disconnected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, would it prohibit the tranny from shifting if the cable was constantly engaged?

I dont have the manual or any real reference and this is my first nova, I might have it hooked up so that it is nearly always engaged. If I run without the cable hooked up, no problems right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fairly sure I didnt, all before I started I labled all the hoses that connected to the carb as a vacuum source and all of them went back on. Also, it will shift up but only around 4000 rpms and i let my foot off the gas.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Sounds like low or no vacuum signal to the modulator. The 1-2 shift will be delayed and harsh and the 2-3 shift will be non-existent. You may have hooked it up on top, but it may have come off at the modulator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so I can make sure, does anyone have a vacuum diagram, or a suggestion of a place to look for one online?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
I would remove the vacuum modulator hose from the car clean and inspect it for leaks. then reconnect it to the proper connection at the carb. modulators are fairly cheap if you want to rule it out completely.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
There's really no need for a diagram as this connection is super simple! Your modulator line should be a steel line that comes up from the passenger rear of the TH350 (where the modulator is). It will have a "U" turn in the end of it which attaches to the mod. with a short piece of 1/4 inch rubber vacuum hose. At the top, it should come up near the dipstick tube and attach with a short piece of rubber hose to full manifold vacuum. Usually, there is a "T" connector behind the carb, but that depends on what other vacuum accesories you have attached.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks... I'll check it out today when I get off work. I know the rubber hose on the t connector that your talking about, and frankly, when I was it back on i thought that it might have been a bit loose on the connection.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I had the same problem and it was a vacuum leak where the modulator steel line connects to the intake manifold.

If your intake manifold is a little higher than the stock one, I would slightly bend the steel so it comfortably fits in the intake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the advice... all of it.

However, while driving to the auto shop, my car suddenly stopped running. It cranks but will not fire.

I think that its either the points..or the coil in my distributor.

I was planning on replacing this shortly, but now I have an excuse to go ahead and do it. What suggestions would you have for a moderatly cheap HEI distributor that will bolt straight on?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Proform sells a ready to run HEI for around $120. I found an Accel HEI with the super coil on my local craigslist for $100. Ask around or go to the junkyards you can find stock HEI's for cheap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, thanks for the info on the vacuum hose.

I've read up a little since I got back from having the tow truck drop the car off but I would like to confirm that I will have to change the battery wire that leads to the dist.?

If so what type should I use? Will I need a new coil as well, or should the new one come fully ready to go? Thanks...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Im also having a th350 shifting issue. mine tends to get hung up in 2nd and wont shift to third. I put a new vacuum hose on with no effect. Im have my hose running from the modulator to a vacuum port on my carb. Is this not the right place. Any pictures of were on the manifold the line gets hooked up at. thanks.

Len

1 - 20 of 22 Posts