Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I posted in here a while back about my engine woes. Got a beautifully rebuilt 1971 350 and it runs great! Only problem is, now my transmission won't shift our of first. From what I've read on this site and others, it seems like my governor is bad or my modulator/ cables are bad. I took it to a transmission shop a few months ago. I can't remember exactly what they said, but I believe the governor was what they had cited as my issue. They quoted me $1000 for the repair. Does this sound like an accurate quote, or should I attempt a replacement myself? It ran fine before my engine died , but it was sitting for a long time and the bottom of the car got wet during a semi flood. Any guidance would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
The $1000 sounds like a complete rebuild. If you've got the money then look at getting it rebuilt but if the $1000 is to just repair the governor their taking you to the bank. Shop around and get several opinions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
for another 300 bucks you can get yourself a brand new tci super street fighter trans rated at 775hp naturally aspirated, so they claim, all pressure tested and dynoed ready to go, it actually comes with a sheet of the results,& thats what I got,(side note) now i wish, i would have gone to a t56 or at least 4 speed auto considering id like to take a different route on my car but honestly cant say anything bad about the tci trans I bought.

Its pretty bad *** for what it is, and I can hold my foot to the floor all day and lay rubber as long as I want and im right around the 425hp mark, has a really nice positive firm shift and hasnt given me a single problem, and I do drive it hard half the time im in it. id recommend going that route, make sure if you do rebuild what you have that they go ahead and put some quality steels, bands and clutches.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can buy a governor for next to nothing.... Maybe 30 dollars. Get under the car pop the clip off then the dome cap and then slide the governor out and replace it.....1000 for that I don't think so. A modulator is as equally easy to replace and even cheaper for the part, so try do it yourself before you get ripped off.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Flood?
Make sure you don't have water in the hydraulic fluid. Check the dipstick for rust, water droplets, etc.

Water can make a valve stick. Sticky valve can keep it from shifting out of 1st.

Vacuum Modulator can be removed and cleaned/worked to take the rough parts off the valve. tranny side of modulator has a valve in it. Use screwdriver to move it. It will spring back if operating properly. Also check the vacuum port side to ensure it does not have fluid in it..if it does, replace it - it's broke.

Governor can be removed and taken apart to determine if its rusty. Work the valve and put it back together as it came apart. Lube it with fresh fluid and reinstall it.

I'm saying your trans was set up for awhile, then some of the valves may have gotten sticky. They need to be worked to loosen them up. If your rebuilt transmission set up for awhile, the assembly lube will cake up. Flush out the transmission and I'd also put a bottle of LubeGuard in with the new tranny fluid to help the seals. I've used this stuff with great success on MINOR issues.

You can flush the tranny while it is in the vehicle by unhooking a cooler line and running it into a 5gal bucket. Get a buddy to standby at the key while he starts it and you add fluid via the dipstick tube. Get a case of fluid and run at least 6 quarts thru the trans after you warm up the engine. This will warm the fluid and get that assembly lube loosened up AND loosen up some of the valves.

If it becomes a major issue, definitely shop around. If you pull and reinstall the transmission you can save a bunch on the cost of a rebuild.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate all the feedback. My neighbor helped me yesterday with checking some of these issues. Still didn't fix it. I think I'm going to swap in a transmission that I found on Craigslist. It is only $150, and a local shop quoted me $250 including fluids and inspection to swap it. I think this might be the route to save some money and a lot of headache! Thanks again all! Always superior knowledge to be found here!:yes:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I really appreciate all the feedback. My neighbor helped me yesterday with checking some of these issues. Still didn't fix it. I think I'm going to swap in a transmission that I found on Craigslist. It is only $150, and a local shop quoted me $250 including fluids and inspection to swap it. I think this might be the route to save some money and a lot of headache! Thanks again all! Always superior knowledge to be found here!:yes:
:(Unless you know the transmission, you might be going through all off the work and expense of removing and installing another transmission with issues.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
I installed a th350 from Summit racing and am very happy with it. I only paid 700 or so bucks delivered, course I needed to replace the converter also (always a good idea) but that was no big deal. I did give up the kick down feature for "passing gear", but I didn't care about that anyway.
2x on the if you don't know a tranny, the it's a pig in a Polk and might not be much more than a core.
Changing out an automatic isn't all that hard if you have a place to do it. Just get some flange wrenches and a tranny jack, most rental places have them, HF sells one for a little over $100. You need good drain pans and diapers because it can get messy draining the fluid. After that it's nuts n bolts.
Dtw, great pix and narrative gr8apmech!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts