Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. Recently bought a 69 Camaro (don't worry, I still have the Nova) and took the kids for a ride in it last night. I shifted hard into 2nd gear and I'm pretty sure I blew the sprag apart. Totally lost 2nd gear and it just shifts from 1 to 3rd now with lots of cool noises coming from within. I'm looking for a new trans and I don't like what I'm reading about TCI and B&M and their quality control. I'm contemplating on rebuilding the trans, but I've only done the Powerglide in my Nova and I'm not familiar at all with the TH350. I've been looking at Coan and what they have to offer since they built me a nice converter years ago that has been great. Can you guys recommend anything other than TCI or B&M? It's going behind an 11:1 355 with 195 Trickflow heads and full roller setup. Somewhere in the 450-475 HP range I'm guessing, so it's going to need to be something somewhat stout to put up with my driving habits. Also somewhere in the $1500 range. I don't need or want a full manual with T-brake setup. That's what the Nova is for. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
238 Posts
too small a rear gear and too big a tire...could blow it up...big gears put less stress on the tranny ...rather the tire slip than the tranny I guess you could say...Rossler...http://www.rosslertrans.com/products.html...and your converter probably should stall at 3500 to 4000 cost extra
I have a 2 speed turbo 400 which is the same as a powerglide with custom gears...4200 converter but 436 ci ...it's a dog on the street cuz the motor doesn't make any power till it hits the 4000-5000 rpm range then it comes unglued and screams...just don't mismatch components for the sake of saving a buck...it will cost you double

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gears are 3:73 in a 10 bolt. Tires are 27" radials and I'm having Coan build me a new 10" converter that should be in the 3200-3400 range. I think I'm ok in those areas, I'm just looking for trans recommendations at this point.
hmmm...maybe the tranny was on it's way out when ya got it...have any idea how many miles was on it?

·
Registered
728 Posts
My buddy who is a automotive and hot rod building genius just ordered his new trans from gearstar and raved to me about them.
He said he picked the guys brains first and was surprised how knowledgeable they really were vs some other companies and now has it dropped in his wife's 600hp G body. He told me to contact them when I am ready to order a trans.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I run a stock th350 with nothing more than a shift kit. Been beating on it for 3 years with no issues. It’s behind a 421 inch small block. 8” FTI converter and 4.10 gears. When it does go I’ll build it myself with a reverse pattern brake valve body.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run a stock th350 with nothing more than a shift kit. Been beating on it for 3 years with no issues. It’s behind a 421 inch small block. 8” FTI converter and 4.10 gears. When it does go I’ll build it myself with a reverse pattern brake valve body.
I'm sorry to hear your 421 is not as stout as my 355 and can't break a stock TH350. 😁 I guess it's just luck of the draw or who knows, maybe yours was freshened up 20 years ago and had some work done to it. Either way, I pulled my trans tonight and took the front pump off and the intermediate sprag came out in pieces. So I guess that solves this crime. The race was cracked and the roller bearings were all over the place in small fragments. Looks like it time to tear it all apart and clean it out. Contemplating doing it myself. It's not much more difficult than my Powerglide that I built a couple years ago. 3 more beers and I'll have myself convinced and ordering parts from Summit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your 421 is not as stout as my 355 and can't break a stock TH350. I guess it's just luck of the draw or who knows, maybe yours was freshened up 20 years ago and had some work done to it. Either way, I pulled my trans tonight and took the front pump off and the intermediate sprag came out in pieces. So I guess that solves this crime. The race was cracked and the roller bearings were all over the place in small fragments. Looks like it time to tear it all apart and clean it out. Contemplating doing it myself. It's not much more difficult than my Powerglide that I built a couple years ago. 3 more beers and I'll have myself convinced and ordering parts from Summit.
Thats the spirit! Or at least my kind of spirit

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Lol. I’m sure I’m not doing mine any good. It was probably rebuilt years back like said. It’s holding up to 10.60 passes and 1.4-1.5 sixtys right now. When it breaks it’ll get all the good internals.

·
Registered
902 Posts
When I was a young guy I had watched a friend of mine build his engine. I took my first one apart and after machining I said yep, I can do this. My first transmission, I took it apart and scattered the parts all over the table, looked at them and said, nope, can't do this. With that being said if I already had one I would find some one to build the one I already had. We are blessed with a good transmission guy right down the road from the house. I think it would be a lot cheaper having one built rather than buying a whole new transmission and having it shipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts