Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new fel-pro gasket that is made out of something other than cork or rubber (charcoal gray in color) and I have a rubber gasket that came with the filter. Anybody out there prefer one over the other??? Also, if I go with the fel-pro, should I use any gasket sealer??

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
on every trans job we do we toss the gasket that comes with them and use the charcoal type you described. I thouroughly clean and apply a high tack to the pan, let it set up a little, lay the gasket on and then another coat over the gasket. heres how i cinch up the bolts and it helps prevent overtightening....get a small 1/4" wrench whatever socket it is, and grab the wrench so the extension comes out between your index and middle finger, don't put your body into it....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Best Trans Pan gasket??

Any recommendations? The filter comes with rubber but I've been told not to use it by several people. I was told to use cork. Someone else told me the rubber/cork hybrid gasket is the best. :turn:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I put a "charcoal type" on mine a couple months ago and that thing leaks like crazy:mad:. I am in the process of putting a cork one on. I think cork is the way to go!!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Charcoal/black gasket, NO SEALER ever, and "coin" the pan holes...by this I mean to lay the edges of the pan on the edge of a steel/hard surface, and using a small ball-peen hammer, round end in each hole, lightly smack the flat face of the opposite side of the hammer, to give each hole, an outward bulge toward the retaining bolt...then install all the bolts, running them up with a speed handle, NEVER use a power tool for this!
Lastly, run the bolts with the speed handle, giving each one a fist bump for final tightness...you will never have a leak:cool:

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Great advice^^^^:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I might be over-thinking this now but I just want to understand as much as possible about what I'm doing.... so......

If a Mr. Gasket cork/neoprene gasket is $16.... and a Felpro cellulose/nitrile gasket is only $6..... which one?

Everything I see says Felpro over Mr. Gasket. But I'd expect the Mr Gasket to be the cheaper option? So now I'm more confused....

Any one have any idea what the superior material is? Why cork is three times the price of cellulose?

:turn::turn:

also, by the way....thanks to all for the advice already given. Its extremely helpful and appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cork shortage, why do you think wine makers are going to alternative sealing methods...plastic stoppers and screw-on caps:confused:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Charcoal/black gasket, NO SEALER ever, and "coin" the pan holes...by this I mean to lay the edges of the pan on the edge of a steel/hard surface, and using a small ball-peen hammer, round end in each hole, lightly smack the flat face of the opposite side of the hammer, to give each hole, an outward bulge toward the retaining bolt...then install all the bolts, running them up with a speed handle, NEVER use a power tool for this!
Lastly, run the bolts with the speed handle, giving each one a fist bump for final tightness...you will never have a leak:cool:
Ok....got the charcoal gasket. "Coined" the holes. I just want to be clear.....NO SEALER....means...NO SEALER. No high-tack, no nuthin, right? Just gasket, metal and properly tightened bolts?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Ok....got the charcoal gasket. "Coined" the holes. I just want to be clear.....NO SEALER....means...NO SEALER. No high-tack, no nuthin, right? Just gasket, metal and properly tightened bolts?

That is how my teacher at school taught us and how I alwsys did it. I used to really like the ATP brand filter kits that had certain holes cut a little smaller to grab the pan bolts and hold them until you could tighten them. I really liked those old transmissions:D.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

Thanks!
Correct:yes::yes::yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts