Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much transmiission fliud does a TH350 hold when up to temperature? The owners manual says 2.5 Qts, this can't be right, after bringing the engine up to operating temperature and pulling the dip stick on the transmission there is nothing on the dip stick after I had put the above mentioned 2.5 Qts in. :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
If your servicing the transmission in the car. And only drop the pan it will take 4.5-5.5 quarts.

AL

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tranny was out of the car and a shift kit installed with a 2500 stall converter added. So the tranny was dry including converter.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Are you running an external cooler, or the integrated cooler in the radiator? If you are, you'll also have to add enough to make up for any of the fluid loss from the lines/cooler during trans removal.

So, you didn't add fluid to the converter before installing it? :eek: Depending on the size of the converter, I add around a quart, or two, to my race converter before installation.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but my dry transmission with a deep pan and 9 1/2 inch converter took about 10 quarts. That was also filling the cooler lines and an external cooler for the first time.

·
3,863 Posts
9-10 quarts if it was totally dry. The pan holds 2.5 to 3 quarts only. Don't run it too long with very little fluid in it or out it comes again.:eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
TH350 Tranny Fluid Question

Guys:
So I just replaced the pan gasket on my TH350 due to a leaky gasket and after cleaning pan, replacing gasket, etc., I started putting fluid in. I only put in 3 qts (the guy at NAPA said at least 5...) and it is showing over full. I did run the car after the 3 quarts and cycled the gears too. Did I do something wrong?

·
14,584 Posts
Run the car through all the gears several times then recheck the fluid level. If it still shows over full then drain some out of the pan and recheck the level. Also, be sure the trans is warmed up because the fluid level will read different when it is cold.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely warm it up more; I didn't do that, but I did run it through the gears 3 times. Will continue to do that, go for a drive, and check it.

Thanks again for helping a newbie!

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,869 Posts
If it was bone dry, it takes awhile to get it in the torque converter. Check it through the week. I swapped my th350 with a dry one last month & total fluid was around 9-9.5 qts..

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I don't remember exactly, but my dry transmission with a deep pan and 9 1/2 inch converter took about 10 quarts. That was also filling the cooler lines and an external cooler for the first time.
I want to say 8.5 maybe for my 350 w/stock pan and a 9.5" converter.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
the easiest way to drain some fluid from overfil is to take off a cooler line and put one of your empty quarts over each line,have a buddy stop and start the car.once you find witch end fluid comes out of you can drop the second empty quart.
a bone dry 350 should hold close to a case of oil. i put in 4 quarts.start car and shut doun after about 15seconds or so. add another 3 or so quarts and start car.then you can run car and add a 1/2 quart check and repeat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good info, but mine wasn't bone dry; it was full, but leaking (due to poor install by a major retailer with the golden touch) so I did it myself. So I guess just the pan holds about 3 quarts (which is about what I got out minus what went onto the cardboard).

On a side note: Can you drain the converter without removing the tranny? My chassis manual doesn't say.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
Good info, but mine wasn't bone dry; it was full, but leaking (due to poor install by a major retailer with the golden touch) so I did it myself. So I guess just the pan holds about 3 quarts (which is about what I got out minus what went onto the cardboard).

On a side note: Can you drain the converter without removing the tranny? My chassis manual doesn't say.
not in a chevy,nope

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

not in a chevy,nope
Not entirely true, back in the day, before lock-up converters, there were 1/8" pipe plugs in the converters that we used to take out and let them drain on a service:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts