Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the backend of my car jacked up while I'm replacing the rear end...this whole time trans fluid has been leaking from place where the kickdown cable enters the tranny housing. Is this just because my car is jacked up in the back and all the tranny fluid is sloshed to the front of the tranny?

I can't remember if I starting noticing the leak before my car was jacked up or not....

·
Registered
509 Posts
With the car jacked up the fluid level could raise up to the kickdown but it shouldnt leak out. I would say that you need a new seal on your cable or it may be loose.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the thing....this tranny doesn't even have 20 miles on it yet...the kickdown is brand-new and so is the little gasket ring on the bottom of the kickdown cable and I've tightened it.

This might turn into my old thread.....if I had the kickdown cable adjusted too tightly....(which I did) so that my tranny was always in "kick-down" mode when I was driving...(which it was)....when I then pushed the gas pedal and opened up the throttle...is it possible that it pulled too hard on the kickdown and damaged someting in there that would have facilitated this leaking?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I wouldnt think that the tightly adjusted kickdown would caused it to leak. On both of my TH350's I have a rubber sleeve type seal on the cable. I would say it is about 3/8" tall & slides over the plastic part that sticks in the trans. Some have just a square cut type "o"ring & sometmes they dont fit right. Maybe you already have this but you might check...if not,any parts store should have them.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
62bandwagon said:
On both of my TH350's I have a rubber sleeve type seal on the cable. Some have just a square cut type "o"ring & sometmes they dont fit right.
Awesome advice..mine definitly has the little O-ring style seal...what you describe definitly sounds like a better fit. I'll check it out. Do the seal you talk of have a specific name (sleeve seal)? Just a regular NAPA would have them? Or would I need a performance shop?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
The GM partnumber for the o ring style is 8623056 and is still available from some dealers. NAPA may be able to cross this.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jarhead64 said:
The GM partnumber for the o ring style is 8623056 and is still available from some dealers. NAPA may be able to cross this.
JarHead

Would you happen to know a partnumber for the "sleeve" style seal that 62 bandwagon speaks of? thanks:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'll see what I can do, it may be tomorrow, I work in a parts store. Gee, a good partsman should know the part number.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Hey Nate,

Try removing the kickdown cable sleeve from the trans housing and check to see if the o-ring seal rolled its way out of the groove. This has happened to me once before- its an easy check.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
62bandwagon said:
I'll see what I can do, it may be tomorrow, I work in a parts store. Gee, a good partsman should know the part number.
Are you joking!! I can understand remembering part numbers for big stuff..but the gasket on the kickdown cable on a TH350!! That would be impressive if you remembered, but hardly expected!

Don't go out of your way for me! But if you find it that'd be great!

Thanks bandwagon!

·
Registered
509 Posts
OK, I think I remember...I think is #SO-36. Actually I looked in a catalog. This part # is for ATP(Automatic Transmission Parts Inc.) brand parts & I really dont know if napa sell them but hopfully they will be able to help. They may actually list this part as an o-ring so you might have them show it to you before they give up. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
napa does sell atp, actually thats the only auto trans products they carry

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
The reason I had the part number is that I was the parts manager at a Chevy Dealer, also have the old paper parts catalog at home. Many parts are still available thru GM or left overs at some dealers if you can get the original part number.

I still have access the locator system for dealer inventory but I need the part number to look up the availability.

Regarding the sleeve type seal, if you can get me the original application I can probably get a part number and availability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts