Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok men, project Black Betty has just begun. I was half way done with laying down the American Autowire Classic Kit, when i thought about going a different direction.
When i bought my 70 Nova, it came with a 307 V8 4 speed manual. I am now dropping in a 396. The dilema i am in, is do i keep the maual trans and swap it out to an Elite TKO-600 that will run me $3900.00, "Here is the kits website" http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/Elite-ChevyII-Nova-1962-74-Tremec.aspx
or do i take my buddy TH350 with a shift kit for free.
Now if i decide to take the TH350, what will it take to make the manual to automatic conversion, and how hard will it be.
My motor made 560 hp on the motor dyno.
Is this the way to go, or do i keep it manual. I plan on having fun with the Nova on the street, and to cruise around in. I dont plan on taking it to the track, so a 3200-3800 stall should be fine for me.
Thanks for your input.:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
if it were me i wouldnt put that kinda horse to a th350 unless she was built.
it could handle it but probably not for long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
oh and i wish i had a 4spd car:yes:
a simple 350 horse 355 is all a guy needs with one of them.

hotrods have three pedals, always remember that.:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would not mind the manual, i just debating becuase i can save a couple grand doing the TH350
what kind of hp/tq can the TH350 handle?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i dont know the real #'s that it can handle but if its STOCK it wont live long behind the BBC.
if it were to be built, for race applications it will do it.
the better (cheaper) choice might be a th400.

or say hell with it, your buddy is going to HAND you a free trans.run it. it may hold together long enough to save for what you WANT.(like a tko):devil:

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
get the TKO & be done with it. the last thing u wanna do is spend the money to get that TH350 in there & working, to find out it doesnt hold to what ur doin & have to take it out & do the TKO anyways. u will be more than happy w/ that TKO..... hope this helps...

LIL JOHN

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I have a th350 in my Nova. Good clutches, new bushings, a hardened race and a B&M shift kit is it. So far it has 120 or so passes on it, and has gone 10.10 @ 136 in a 3450 lb car. I was worried about it at first, and built a spare th350 but that's been sitting on the shelf for 2 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts