Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again trying to sort out issues with Sparky's 63. So we got the 327 broken in, and a rough tune (still sorting that out). But he is not getting the 2-3 Upshift till about 50 mph. Here is the info, 327 with circle track cam pulling maybe 11 inches of vacuum (at least currently). Modulator is hooked up, and checked with a vacuum pump to make sure it does hold vacuum. It was adjusted and made a little difference with the 1-2, but not really the 2-3. Today he pulled the governor, I had a calibration kit so we popped in 1 heavier weight, but that didn't change anything that he noticed. 3.08 gears at the moment (3.73 soon) th350 out of we don't know what, it came with the car and has never ran that we are aware of. He is running a 3500 stall due to the cam. Do we change out the other weight in the governor, or are we headed in the wrong direction? Also I did disconnect the kick down cable just to ensure that was not causing the issue. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not bad, we have everyone stumped. Has anyone ever used the modulator off a diesel th350 supposedly the workin vacuum is lower. Just a thought.

·
Registered
208 Posts
no shift 2nd to 3rd

Hi It sounds like a governor problem. It could be a check ball getting stuck in the valve body {varnished up from sitting) When you had the governor out how was the spring? Color? They do make springs with different tensions as to affect the shift points. Did you hold the governor upside down and observe the action of the weights and valve in the center of the shaft?That gets bound up also. Do you understand what I'm asking you? I don't know the extent of your knowledge...so don't be insulted. lol A decent tranny shop most likely would have a used one for a reasonable price or be able to verify yours is working properly. 11 inches of vacuum is borderline. It should shift though. What is it when you raise the idle I'm guessing that 11 inches is at idle. Let me know and we'll take it from there. Good luck!

Neil

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the help. If I recall the springs were yellow. I did not hold it upside down to see, but it was not bound up. It is possible there is an issue with a check ball, he did take the valve body apart and put in a shift kit in. I was there for that and it looked that went according to the instructions.

Yes, the 11 inches is at idle, we are still working the tune, he was jonesing to get it on the road so the tune is rough. On a side note he has a BHJ balancer that has no indication of which line is 0 or TDC. I dropped off my borescope to him e morning so he can check TDC. I have TDC checker but it hits the inner fender, and I have a piston stop, but since I won't be there I thought the borescope might be easier for him. Cause according to what BHJ said TDC was (though he was not convincing) we have 55 degrees initial which cannot possibly be correct. That being said, once we can figure timing out, we may be able to squeeze a couple more inches of vacuum out of it.

I won't have a chance to get over there for another week or so, in the meantime Sparky is tinkering with it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed

Used the 1 & 2 heaviest weights in the governor kit, and we are in business.

Thanks for the help on this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
11 inches of vacuum

Hi glad you worked the shifting under control. The 11 inches of vacuum is so so it sounds like the cam is bigger than you think or I read in another thread the cam degree may be off. They have the 3 positions to set the crank at. Did you put the cam in? If so was a cam degree gauge used? The aftermarket parts are indexed incorrectly at times. I've run across it myself in the past. OEM stuff is usually dead on. Let me know good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts