Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a guy that wants to sell a 350 sbc complete running motor and supposably it was purchased from a shop that built performance motors in salt lake city, (problem is he cant remember the shop name). He also wants to sell with it a th200 transmission that is suposse to built up to handle about 800 hp. (I hate having to take someones word for things like this when you don't know them). He wants 1500.00 for both which seems pretty rasonable for both together. Problem is I don't really know anything about that trans. or if it would be a good motor/trans combination to put into my 63 nova. I am not sure where to even get a crossmember to fit it in. If anyone knows anything about this trans. going into a 63 time frame car I would love to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
There were a couple of versions of the 200 metric transmission.

One was a 3 speed with a lock up converter. My experience with this type was not too good.

I like the 200-4R and have used 2-3 in prior projects.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Avoid the 3 speed 200,the 2004r is a decent tranny with upgrades. If it is built to handle 800hp its got the upgrades.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to tell if its the 200-4r just by looking at it? I have to go look at it tomorrow and Im not sure how to tell the 200 apart from the 200-4r.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A 2004r has a unique pan sorry I don't know how to do a link but there are sites for transmission I.D. The rear mount is way at the back too.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
For racing the 200 is worth some money. Don't know much about running one on the street, but the class racers are running them because they are lighter than a faster than a 350 or a P/G. I'll give you a hundred bucks for it if you don't want it.:rolleyes: LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you sevenzeronova for that diagram it is very helpful. I think looking at the diagram my best choice of trans to go into the car is the th350 or the 700r4. I already have a 700r4 so could be the best choice. I went and looked at the th200 and the sbc 350 the guy was selling. and it was a 200 soim not interested in it and the motor he said was a fresh rebuild and same with the trans. I wish people could just be straight up on the phone and tell the truth about this kind of stuff. needless to say I wasnt interested in either of the items he was selling.
I really appreciate the people on this site. thanks guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pandora that was a good read. I have a 700r4 to put in the car but I am debating keeping the PG in it as well. I think those PG's are just kinda cool.

·
Registered
523 Posts

As for your question about trany mounts. The 200-4r is the same size as the 350th and will use the same mounting location. That is why they are popular for no additional work to change over to overdrive compared to the 700r4. And yes they can be built for HP. They were used in some of the Buick Grand Nationals from factory.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So i was just in the shower thinking about your engine & trans (weird? Lol) Anyways, and $1500 for a 350 and 200-4R doesnt seem like all that great of a deal. Especially since i can walk down the road to an old hotrodder dude and pick up a 350 that's "rebuilt and runs great!" for $200, and im pretty sure i could pick up that trans somewhere for around $700 if not cheaper.

Also, trust your gut, it's screaming at you not to take this dudes word on it. I would atleast do so checks on the engine prior to install, or atleast buy the $85 small rebuild kit off of summit. Because ever 350 you buy off someone is gonna be "rebuilt". Ive known the hotrodder guy for 20 yrs and he's like a god to me when it comes to bowtie motors and i would still take it apart and check it, before install.

Some quick checks: take off the pan (dont flip the motor) see if you find any goodies in there, or atleast cut open the oil filter.

I also saw a trick where (if you have the head off, flip it upside down and pour so fuel in where the valves seat, if the fuel drains out, then the valves arent properly sealing.

Again, if you just buy the $85 rebuild kit, it will give you a reason to take it apart and you might just find something small that could have turned into something big down the road.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I liked what the 200 r4 read was saying until I got to the last sentence.

UP to 350 hp....

If my car doesnt have 550HP plus it isn't finished and we will be trying again.... :devil::eek: Looks like the 700r4 may be the plan.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
As for your question about trany mounts. The 200-4r is the same size as the 350th and will use the same mounting location. That is why they are popular for no additional work to change over to overdrive compared to the 700r4. And yes they can be built for HP. They were used in some of the Buick Grand Nationals from factory.
Ha Ha! This statement always makes me laugh! I think it's hilarious when someone thinks that a tranny that was behind a 276 horse car at best (GNX), and has small internal parts will hold up better than a 700R4.

It will after you spend about 2 grand!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ha Ha! This statement always makes me laugh! I think it's hilarious when someone thinks that a tranny that was behind a 276 horse car at best (GNX), and has small internal parts will hold up better than a 700R4.

...2 grand??

I'm not sure what steve's plans are for his nova, but if its gonna be a mild daily driver, im sure he can save that 2 grand.

Ill do some research and get some numbers on what the trans can handle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well that took about 5 seconds to look up

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0903_th_200_4r_transmission_build/viewall.html

According to this article, a 200-4R can handle just as much as a 700 stock, plus a plethora of other advantages as well. Also this article states you can make it handle 1000 hp well under 2 grand...

This article:
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/transmission/sucp_0904_chevy_th2004r_transmission_build/viewall.html

Gives the exact cost from different varieties of brand new trans to a DIY kit.

·
3,863 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

SERIOUSLY...

YOU STILL WANT TO GO DOWN THAT ROAD AGAIN......

You will spend as much (if not more) for the rebuild of the 700 vice the 200. And yet the 200-4r will ultimately live in history as the transmission that was behind the Buick GNX... PERIOD.

I don't remember seeing anything in GMs platform that was carrying a 700 that held a title like the GNX. It seems that they by-passed the 700 and went straight to the l60e or l80e.

All the 700-4R is a 400 with an overdrive unit in it. Period, end of story...

You can post all kind of sites, make outlandish claims but, without me seeing it in persion, it's a "racer talk" "My car can do this, My car can do that" Gheesh...

sswaterhog,

It all depends on what you want to do with YOUR car. If you want to blast the 1/8 or 1/4, opt for the Powerglide. For a street strip car, TH-350 is your answer. For a nice cruizer, definitely either the 200-4R or one of the newer ones 4L60 or 4L80s and don't waste your money on those anemic 700s...

Yeah I said it and that just happened....

To tell if it's a true 200-4R transmisson, there should be a blue and silver tag near the output shaft tail cone that will have a ALPHA NUMERIC code on it.

http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transmission-identification.php

These codes can be found on the passenger side of the transmission near the output shaft. Sometimes they are hard to read due to the catalytic convertor getting in the way. The valve body itself will have the first two letters painted on it. Be careful because the paint comes off easily. The special valve bodies usually have a purple strip on them also.

TH-200-R4 ID's:
ID Year(s) Application

KZF ** Olds 442/Hurst
CZF ** Monte SS
BRF ** GN/T-Type/Turbo Regals
OZ ** Hurst Olds
OM Olds 350 Diesels
OG Olds 307
BY V-6 252 Cars
AA and AP Cadillac's

The TH200-4R can be identified by its odd-shaped 16-bolt pan, which roughly resembles the state of Nevada (check your maps), and the transmission pan bolts have 13mm heads. The TH200-4R was used in GM rear-wheel-drive cars equipped with the 231 Buick, 301 Pontiac, the Oldsmobile 307, as well as the 350 gas and 350 diesel engines from 1981-'90. Many Chevrolet 267 and 305 engines also used the TH200-4R with a multi-fit bellhousing. You can look for one in any of these vehicles with those engine sizes:

1981-'88 Buick LeSabre and Electra RWD
1981 Century
1981-'87 Regal
1981-'90 Cadillac Fleetwood, Deville and Brougham
1982-'90 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice
1981-'88 Chevelle, Monte Carlo, Malibu and El Camino
1984-'87 GMC Caballero
1982-'90 Olds Delta 88, 98 and Custom Cruiser
1983-'88 Olds Cutlass 4-4-2 and Supreme
1983-'89 Pontiac Bonneville, Parisienne and Safari Wagon
1981 Pontiac Firebird with 301
1984-'87 Pontiac Grand Prix

The transmission identification is on a plate on the right side of the case towards the tailshaft. This ID tag is usually held on by one rivet. The plate will have a two- or three-letter transmission code in large letters, and then a 13- or 14-digit identification number along the bottom:

1st digit: month of production (A through M, skipping the letter "I")
2nd-3rd: production day of the month
4th: shift transmission was produced (1st-3rd shift)
5th: assembly plant (T: Three Rivers, MI; J: Windsor, Canada; W: Warren, MI)
6th-7th: decade and year
8th-9th: or 8th-10th: transmission ID code
10th-13th: or 11th-14th: transmission serial number

So, you see PANDORA, instead of "blasting" someone with THEIR choice of transmissions, you can either help the individual out or DON'T post anything at all...

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
^ ^ ^ The blind will never see. ^ ^ ^

1 - 20 of 32 Posts