Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looks like my turbo 350 has had enough abuse from the big block, i noticed a small leak yesterday alot like the usual dipstick leak so i put down a old t-shirt to soak it up till i had time today to address the problem, i guess i need a bigger shirt! Now just deciding what direction to go. Fix it or upgrade to a overdrive? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well from what Ive seen 350s are a dime a dozen, prolly just as cheap to fix! Where are you trying to go with the car? Maybe this is a time to upgrade to that overdrive you have been thinking of for a long time? Maybe you have no need for an overdrive and $500 will get you a nice reman, or even cheaper.

I guess it all depends on what YOU want to do with it. Id look at this not so much as a break down and more as an opportunity to maybe take advantage of an idea that has been festering in your mind??

Just a thought..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally agree with it being a opportunity, i have been tossing around the idea of a overdrive, it's just very daunting trying to figure out the best unit for my needs now and in the future. Not to mention the web is full of info and opinions, some factual some not. The car is mostly just a cruiser with the occasional trip to the strip.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I really dont have any advice for you. Im looking into transmissions myself, and dont know what route I wanna go besides overdrive. But I have a 194, and soon upgrading to a 250. NOT a big block. Eventually Ill toss a 350 or 383 in there, but for now just an inline is all I got, so I have much less power flowing through the driveline. Guys say good things about the TH2004R, its an overdrive. But for your runs to the strip I dont know how the rest of your gearing would work out.

Maybe do some google research. Everytime I have a question, Ill ask here of course, but also Ill google the trans, look up gear ratios, specs, power handling capability, etc...Ill do that for each trans, and look for other options I missed. Then Ill compile all my data and be able to make a decision for myself. Lots of good info here, but I always dig deeper, and always learn something new.

Personally, the direct final drive is killing me! 3000rpm at 65? NO:no: I wanna be able to cruise mine 100 miles in comfort.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, the direct final drive is killing me! 3000rpm at 65? NO:no: I wanna be able to cruise mine 100 miles in comfort.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my reasoning for the overdrive as well with my 3:73 rear i'm running 3100 rpm at 65mph. The owner of our local speed shop swears by the raptor series of 700r4 trans, i'll look into them and some others, Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
72bbnova you said you had a 700r4, is there a reason you got rid of it? I'm a little weary of the 200r4 with all of the torque a big block makes. Thanks for the links
I understand the 200r4 is a near identical fit to the TH350. 700r4 needs driveshaft and crossmember modification.

Is a 200r4 weaker than a 700r4?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
How BIG is your big-block?

How much power does it make?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If I was you, I would opt for the 700-R4 or the 4L60/80e series transmissions. The 200-4R will handle itself just fine behind the 194 and if built correctly (about $1800-2200) it will be fine behind the 350/383 combo.

The big block will eat that 200-4R without thinking about it. Unless you are willing to spend some serious cash to billet just about everything in that 200-4R to have it live behind the big block.

Just my .02

·
Registered
482 Posts
72bbnova you said you had a 700r4, is there a reason you got rid of it? I'm a little weary of the 200r4 with all of the torque a big block makes. Thanks for the links
I sold the car that it was in. I know there's alot of the mid 80's Turbo Buick Grand Nationals that are running deep into the 10's and into the 9's with a 2004R. That's what came in those from the factory. Over the last few years the 200's have come a long way in durability. What is your motor combo, what kind of power are you putting out? I personally would not be afraid of a well built 200 behind a 550 HP big block for the street, if it's built right with a good cooler for it also. My 700 was behind a mild 383 in a 4000lb car a never had any issue's with it, but I also overkilled it too, could've gone with there stage 2 but I wanted a little more insurance. If I went with an auto in the Nova I was either going to do a 2004R or a turbo 400 with a gear venders overdrive, and I'm looking between 550-600 hp for my big block. There's also the 4L80E which is basiclly a turbo 400 with an overdrive, same exact gears, but I think you have to have a computer to shift it I think. Just another option to look at. Jeff

·
Registered
8,013 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
And when you're done checking out their site do a Google search on Mad Dog. Also, when you get to where you find out they use to operate under a different name in another state keep looking and let me know what you found.

Hey Oscar, better late than never!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts