Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All.

I have a 72 Nova that at one time had a 6 Cylinder that has been changed over to a 350 with a holly 600. The TH 350 was rebuilt with a stage 2 B&M shift kit, but I have never been able to get the car to "kick down" when I mash the gas. I am using the original detent bracket from the motor.
I have tried to adjust the detent cable but I am wonder since the engine and trans are out of different cars is there a different length cable. I do not want to purchase a new cable if it will do nothing for me. I would like the car to kick down when I need it to but I have been living with manually shifting into L2 but would like to fix it properly. :confused:

Hope this make sense.

Thank you for reading.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Are you sure everything is hooked up correctly inside the transmission? I would try running the cable inside the car and manually shifting it down.

·
3,870 Posts
If the cable reaches the carb witout binding it should be okay. You need to check:

1. Detent cable adjustment.
2. Detent system integrity in the pan (cable connected, linkage not broken, etc).
3. Dents in the pan binding up the detent linkage.
4. Check the detent valve for sticking.
5. Check the vacuum modulator for leaks, cracked diaphragm, etc.

Its one of these areas.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Detent cable

Thanks for the reply's, From what I can tell the cable is not binding it moves fine when I pull on it it. The trans was rebuild by a racer for the street so I am pretty sure that it is connected and works. How do I ajust the cable :confused:

Thanks

·
3,870 Posts
When you disconnect the cable from the carb linkage and pull, you should start to feel resistance about halfway out. If you don't the cable is broken, stretched or disconnected in the trans. To adjust the cable, lift up the snaplock tab on the cable, just behind the cable bracket. Move the throttle to WOT (do this with the engine off and preferably using the pedal). Make sure the cable sleeve is flush against the bracket and push the snaplock tab flush with the retainer. You are done. If it still doesn't downshift you will have to start on the list above and not assume it is right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts