Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to circle track race many years ago, but I have been taking the Nova to the local 1/8th mile occasionally. Quite frankly sometimes it is a mass of confusion and disorganization. Is this par for the course? (Yeah I know some circle track boys aren't very 'telligent neither.)

Saturday was test and tune. Street tire cars were about a 3 to 2 ratio or better over slicks. We all payed the same fees. I waited over 90 minutes for the slick cars to run more than once to get a chance to run my street tire car. We were only 4 deep in 2 waiting lanes. They didn't even get through the street tire line before they switched to slicks again. Then they announced they would be going evenly, 10 bikes, 10 streets, 10 slicls. Good I thought, then they just kept running the slicls. The street boys were parked 2 rows 15-20 deep by then. I decided after 3 hours and 1 run on a test&tune only night to go home.

I do have fun listening and knowing when to watch for a car to break. Don't people know that if it is missing in the burnout it is probably not a good idea to try to make a full throttle run? I have only seen one guy, (old and wise) back out when the car didn't run right on burnout. Most others try it anyway:confused:

Another time there was a pickup that the rear wheels hoped side to side down the track. He would never get out of the throttle. He eventually broke something on the 3rd run. I was suprised it made it through 1. I was amazed that he could repeat the hopping so consistently.

Saturday a Nitro rail showed up and the track officials were ga ga over it. It took out a few pistons off the starting line. Backed out of it by the 100 ft line. He was missing in 1 cylinder during the burnout. The nasty one was the full blown super hp ricer. It was missing MAJOR during burn out, but they decide to stage and go. It literally blew the pistons all over the starting line. It moved a couple of feet. Took 1/2 hour to clean up.

Maybe I didn't get the runs I wanted for $17. I shouldn't complain too much, it may be worth it for entertainment value. HP + high testosterone-brains = lots of kaboom.:D

Maybe I should just wait until wednesday night test&tune begins, or would the weekday be just as ..... interesting?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
our test and tune was just busy. cars were lined up the entire length of the pits! it took a good hour almost to get through. between 7 and midnight i got in 6 runs. two were within fifteen minutes of each other at the very end, as everyone had gone home. they had some stunt bike group there...which was ok. just that for the first test and tune and with really long lines i really wish they had stayed home. there were a dozen or so bikes and four wheelers that they kept running. it was like every other race or every third race was two crotch rockets. i was starting to get pissed. waiting an hour to run when the bikes wait 25 or 30 minutes is ridiculous. hopefully this weekend will be less busy. supposed to be in the 60's so hopefully the ricers and the bikes will stay home.

·
Registered
445 Posts
mychevyii20 said:
I used to circle track race many years ago, but I have been taking the Nova to the local 1/8th mile occasionally. Quite frankly sometimes it is a mass of confusion and disorganization. Is this par for the course? (Yeah I know some circle track boys aren't very 'telligent neither.)

Saturday was test and tune. Street tire cars were about a 3 to 2 ratio or better over slicks. We all payed the same fees. I waited over 90 minutes for the slick cars to run more than once to get a chance to run my street tire car. We were only 4 deep in 2 waiting lanes. They didn't even get through the street tire line before they switched to slicks again. Then they announced they would be going evenly, 10 bikes, 10 streets, 10 slicls. Good I thought, then they just kept running the slicls. The street boys were parked 2 rows 15-20 deep by then. I decided after 3 hours and 1 run on a test&tune only night to go home.

I do have fun listening and knowing when to watch for a car to break. Don't people know that if it is missing in the burnout it is probably not a good idea to try to make a full throttle run? I have only seen one guy, (old and wise) back out when the car didn't run right on burnout. Most others try it anyway:confused:

Another time there was a pickup that the rear wheels hoped side to side down the track. He would never get out of the throttle. He eventually broke something on the 3rd run. I was suprised it made it through 1. I was amazed that he could repeat the hopping so consistently.

Saturday a Nitro rail showed up and the track officials were ga ga over it. It took out a few pistons off the starting line. Backed out of it by the 100 ft line. He was missing in 1 cylinder during the burnout. The nasty one was the full blown super hp ricer. It was missing MAJOR during burn out, but they decide to stage and go. It literally blew the pistons all over the starting line. It moved a couple of feet. Took 1/2 hour to clean up.

Maybe I didn't get the runs I wanted for $17. I shouldn't complain too much, it may be worth it for entertainment value. HP + high testosterone-brains = lots of kaboom.:D

Maybe I should just wait until wednesday night test&tune begins, or would the weekday be just as ..... interesting?

where was this at?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have two tracks within a 30 minute ride of the house. T&T are always busy at both. It costs $7.00 and they have them on Thursday night and Sunday afternoon. Lots of motorcycles, some rice burners, some street cars, some grudge races and some real race cars. The real race cars get some special treatment for several reasons. The spectator crowd likes to see fast cars plus most are trying to figure out or work out a problem so they can race at the next event. We have a 10.5 outlaw race once a month here and it packs the track so lots of local heros come to T&T nights. Lots of young people having a good time and staying off the streets is what I see. The track operators actually will pay you to bring a real fast race car up there on Thursday night so the crowd gets a better show. It is a mad house though......LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Greer Dragway in Greer SC or Shadyside Dragway in Boiling Springs NC. Drop by when you're in the area,LOL. RM

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are yo going to Sanger or somewhere else in N. texas??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts