Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we took the ole' NastyNova out to the local 1/8th mile track at Lancaster Raceway and the best pass of the day was a 6.20 @ 112 with a 1.70 60' time so that should tell ya traction was an issue.......we tried everything to get the ole' girl to come outta the hole but every time she was breaking the tires loose severely, I was in and out of it for probably 200' trying to keep it stuck to the ground. I know if we could get a nice warm day and the tracks seasoned the car will go a 5.90 or better in the 1/8th. Just shouldn't have expected too much on the first day! Oh yeah 63SSNOS I got ya beat I oiled the track down from the staging beams all the way through the traps!!!! Nothing like roasting the tires in your own oil! BigDog thanks to you and Randy we got her all wrapped up and back in the lanes for some more runs! What happended to the motor is the drivers side valve cover in the rear next to the fire wall got shoved out from under the rail of the valve cover some how and of course when ya leave the line going down the track all the oil was running right out the back and down the motor down the headers and all over the track, we put about 2 qts. of oil on the track........
Also the 1.70 short time was leaving at 4600rpm instead of 5500 and then we tried foot braking it and it went a 1.60 leaving at 3000....I was amazed at how well the ole' 1200cfm Dominator reacted to footbraking. We left so much on the table yesterday it wasn't even funny. But it's all good, we'll get it the Powerglide swapped in her and things will be back to normal.
Here's a couple of pics from yesterday......

·
Premium Member
11,285 Posts
Looking good Scott. Ya know, every time ya go for a new motor ya always got to run the bugs out of them. When we had the Max Wedge, we was losing some oil also. Pulled the valve covers, and s**t, they just layed the gaskets in there!!! They were ok, so we cleaned them up and put them in the right way and walaa...no more oil leaks. Of course thats just the beginning of a very long story. We'll save that for later. Good luck to you.

Don

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
we all know you have a beast scott. you will get it dialed in and will be a killer. hope its better than 5.80 and sub 9.0 in 1/4. bring nasty nova down to E town on the 23rd. I was only out once this year and the resurfacing job on the concrete pad was amazing . record 60 foots for my slow stroker 1.67 1.68 on a 2500 foot brake leave. you will iron out that new piece soon enough. atco might be worth the ride down for you as well . both have great prep work. btw your car looked mint in those pics.:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
In my 388 I had to run those Moroso steel reinforced rubber valve cover gaskets Scott. It would blow em out one day an suck em in the next, I couldn't run a standard type gasket at all. You still got 3.89 gears in the Nasty one? Ya need to go higher.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
You could always pull that BBC boat anchor and drop it off at my house. I got a real good 350 I'll give you in trade. :D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
63SSNOS said:
In my 388 I had to run those Moroso steel reinforced rubber valve cover gaskets Scott. It would blow em out one day an suck em in the next, I couldn't run a standard type gasket at all. You still got 3.89 gears in the Nasty one? Ya need to go higher.
These are a cork gasket with a steel reinforcement in them, so I'm not sure what happened to make them do that. I sold the TH400 to my buddy and I'm ordering up a full race glide to go in the car so that should solve some of the problem right there.....I honestly think that's the only way we'll get it stay hooked with this size tire.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I"ve never had problems with the steel reinforced gaskets, don't make sense unless the were not setting right to begin with. Hopefully ya got straight now. A higher rear gear will kill power the same as the glide an have more top end as a bonus. Just changing the gear ratio out back instead of in the middle, thats all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts