Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holley just launched the Holley Terminator X and Terminator X Max EFI controllers made for LS swaps. $999 for the Terminator X. $1,200 for the Terminator X Max which includes transmission control and they have drive by wire option as well. Pretty budget friendly priced to get pretty much everything you need to get running. I may have to consider this in the future. Both support nitrous and boost control and come with the handheld LCD.

Thought I'd share for others.

https://www.holley.com/products/fue...minator_x/terminator_x_max_kits/parts/550-918

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Just saw that today. Pretty slick. Has a lot of features and half the cost of the other Holley Terminator kits. Definitely going to explore this more for my next swap.

The thing I like the most is there is no individual license required, you can tune as many systems as you want with no additional software, interface or credit structure like HP Tuners or EFI live...

One of the pitfalls may be the lack of a good scan tool, but I need to read into it more. The strong suite of HP Tuners is it has a great scan tool that you can configure with whatever PIDS you want to monitor....

Definitely going to give some other software suites a run for their money.....

T,

·
6,493 Posts
They are behind from Fitech who have something similar and for less money. Theirs are $795 and $995. I'm hoping one or both of them come out with something similar but not based on the LS engines but include the modern transmission. First gen V8 married to a modern engine with some self learning capability. I'll question Fitech on the weekend to see if something like that is on the horizon or could be adapted.

https://fitechefi.com/products/70050/

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just saw that today. Pretty slick. Has a lot of features and half the cost of the other Holley Terminator kits. Definitely going to explore this more for my next swap.

The thing I like the most is there is no individual license required, you can tune as many systems as you want with no additional software, interface or credit structure like HP Tuners or EFI live...

One of the pitfalls may be the lack of a good scan tool, but I need to read into it more. The strong suite of HP Tuners is it has a great scan tool that you can configure with whatever PIDS you want to monitor....

Definitely going to give some other software suites a run for their money.....

T,
There's no comparison. The Holley EFI software logs every parameter, scans, and displays, at a far greater resolution than the HPTuners suite and stock ECU could even begin to approach due to lack of computing power. I still use both (HPTuners begrudgingly) and Holley EFI is flat-out amazing.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I wonder about fuel mileage compared to a factory type fuel injection. One of the good things about the LS platform is the power and fuel economy. I have a Terminator on a 383 that gets 16 mpg but would expect a lot more from the lS platform. Looking to build a 6.0 for my next car and it will have some form of injection. Looking forward to some of you smart guys working all the kinks out so you can help some of us other guys.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder about fuel mileage compared to a factory type fuel injection. One of the good things about the LS platform is the power and fuel economy. I have a Terminator on a 383 that gets 16 mpg but would expect a lot more from the lS platform. Looking to build a 6.0 for my next car and it will have some form of injection. Looking forward to some of you smart guys working all the kinks out so you can help some of us other guys.
Fuel mileage should be the same, since the engine is operating in closed loop at a steady state resulting in fueling for a target (typically 14.7 for gasoline) AFR. Both the stock and Holley systems perform the same in that regard, but that's about where the similarities end.

The 5.3 in my Nova isn't frugal on fuel though. TH350/3.73 means I'm spinning 3000+ on the highway, and the biggest reason is I can't keep my foot out of the gas!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are behind from Fitech who have something similar and for less money. Theirs are $795 and $995. I'm hoping one or both of them come out with something similar but not based on the LS engines but include the modern transmission. First gen V8 married to aa modern engine with some self learning capability. I'll question Fitech on the weekend to see if something like that is on the horizon or could be adapted.

As the fitech is cheaper, I dont think it's as powerful as the holley system. A lot of things can be added to the Holley system for racing applications such as trans brake and bump box and other things, as I read. I dont see those options on the fitech description. Also the holley can be upgraded to the dominator ecu later if you want to get into more features that the dominator offers. All the plugs for the ecu are the same so a simple swap of the ecu is needed. By no means am I an expert at comparing these, it just seems the holley x has a lot more features out of the box. Seems more geared to budget ecu with weekend track fun in mind. Maybe I missed something on the fitech ecu?

·
Registered
475 Posts
As the fitech is cheaper, I dont think it's as powerful as the holley system. A lot of things can be added to the Holley system for racing applications such as trans brake and bump box and other things, as I read. I dont see those options on the fitech description. Also the holley can be upgraded to the dominator ecu later if you want to get into more features that the dominator offers. All the plugs for the ecu are the same so a simple swap of the ecu is needed. By no means am I an expert at comparing these, it just seems the holley x has a lot more features out of the box. Seems more geared to budget ecu with weekend track fun in mind. Maybe I missed something on the fitech ecu?
My issue with Fitech right now is that they are ignoring DBW. But the Holley seems to be missing a few things. speedo output for one.

·
6,493 Posts
They are behind from Fitech who have something similar and for less money. Theirs are $795 and $995. I'm hoping one or both of them come out with something similar but not based on the LS engines but include the modern transmission. First gen V8 married to a modern engine with some self learning capability. I'll question Fitech on the weekend to see if something like that is on the horizon or could be adapted.

No stand alone ecu with a modern transmission coming in the near future. They do have a stand alone transmission ecu for the modern engine though. I was talking to the head guy at Fitech and they are constantly working on new products. One is a larger throttle body with even higher horsepower capability is coming soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Holley has speedometer output you may need to set up the output in the ecu configuration and pin map it or if needed you can split the VSS signal. Dakota Digital has recently released a BIM module that connects to the Holley so you can get the info for your gauge cluster straight from the ecu.

I have a dominator system on my LS6 in my Nova. I am certainly not a expert on the system but there is a huge amount of support on the Holley Forums as well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
this is just a year too late really. so far i really want one for my Nova, but it already 'runs' on HPT. i still need to tune/dyno it. and if it puts up much of a fight ill just order it.

but for my next project it looks like i will buy it. putting it in the budget staight away.

Matt at Sloppymechanics just got one for his project, and is aways straight up about product reviews. so i cant wait to hear what he as to say about it.
i am mainly concerned with 'advanced' items like injectors that arnt on there list, MAP sensors of different sizes, how much can be fine tuned from a laptop, can you change the gauges displayed.... oh and i would kind of like a bigger display option, and not have to pay another 600bucks to get a 5-6" screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Waiting for this as well. Sniper but with trans control.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ordered one of these for the LS1 in my C3 project. It's not much more than the harness service/vats remove service and can take changes. Now I can easily do a cam swap as well and not have to retune the ecu.

I think the market for harness services is going to drop, but there will always be those that have more time than money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts