Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try satin or flat blacking out some chrome pieces on the car but I want to be able to just wash it off if I don't like it.It's just to get an idea of how much or little I want.I thought it would be easy to find an arts and crafts paint that was water based and washed off but no way.I remember as a kid there was a powder you could mix up with water but can't seem to find anything like that.Has anyone tried something like this?Maybe there is something I could apply to the part that would make removal of regular spray bomb paint simple?Ideas boys?Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
plastidip would be the best way to go, go to dipyourcar.com as well as plastidip.com, they have minor differences in prices but dipyourcar does kits specifically for big or small jobs.

you spray it on, do 4 or 5 coats, and let it dry. if you dont like it, you just peel it right off and its like nothing was ever there

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
We have used everything from electrical tape to black shoe polish.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I want to try satin or flat blacking out some chrome pieces on the car but I want to be able to just wash it off if I don't like it.It's just to get an idea of how much or little I want.I thought it would be easy to find an arts and crafts paint that was water based and washed off but no way.I remember as a kid there was a powder you could mix up with water but can't seem to find anything like that.Has anyone tried something like this?Maybe there is something I could apply to the part that would make removal of regular spray bomb paint simple?Ideas boys?Thanks.
Might have been "guide coating". Its usually a flat black dry coating that is used during the block sanding of a car.

It (the type I have used) doesnt have much if any adhesive in it to keep it dry and not build up on the sandpaper.

It comes in a spray can and a dry powder. Id try the spray can and spray it on a nicely waxed surface.

Test it out before you go hog wild with it on the entire bright work :D JR

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch.First I've seen of the plastidip.Dip your car?That's crazy!!!What a great idea to lay out some different ideas with no risk.I'm sold.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I'd use electrical tape to black out the moldings and give you and idea of what it will look like. If it looks cool, take off the tape, scuff it up and spray it black:yes:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ditto on the electrical tape.

You can keep it on it if you like the look, too. It'll last a good long while before it shrinks or starts to noticeably degrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts