Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What? Why? How?
I don't have schematics right now, but I can't remember seeing it on there. If I have to try to start the car for three times, it will probaply light (red) on the second or on the third time when I try to start. How should it work and is there a sensor somewhere..?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the sending unit is in the head, whether V8 or Six.

here's your 1963 schematic: temp switch is shown to the left of the ign coil.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okei, it's there on THAT picture - I was thinking of the picture with meters. Still, I don't understand why it lights sometimes with just "power on". Maybe a bad sensor and/or a poor connection?
Can't remember seen that on any other cars. Does it actually work like telling You that Your engine is hot or is it more like a sensor to tell that You just burned Your seals..? Is there a certain degree of temperature when it should work?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
it's commonly called an "Idiot" light as it works (light comes on) basically when it's too late... you've overheated...

the light will generally come on for a second when ignition is operated while the system sets... it should turn off pretty much immediately when engine is started.

definitely recommend an auxiliary "Temp" gauge showing degrees instead of a light that turns on ONCE you've overheated...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Very true. Aftermarket gauges are inexpensive and cheap insurance to protect your motor. In fact, gauges are so great, I can tell when my oil is low by the pressure gauge, which is good because I dont have a dipstick at the moment...Thats how much I trust my gauges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts