Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Lifters are hydraulic flat tappet...
If they were roller there would be either a factory dogbone anti-rotation device holding each pair of lifters at the top of each lifter bore, or a vertical tie-bar on aftermarket retro-fit rollers. Neither of those are present in your pics, the pics just show a stock style hydraulic flat tappet lifter.

Rockers will be okay to use once you have provided anough clearance on the valvecover oil drippers, the marks on the top of them won't effect anything. with roller rockers the drippers can be completely removed.
Just make sure the pushrod cup isn't danaged deeper in the cup where the pushrod tip fits, the part that is polished shiny.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
so today i put the valavetrain back together , and did a compression check on each cylinder .and i have healthy 155-175 on each ..most are 155..only number 1 and 2 has 170 + .... so now its time to put in the new pushrods?? Will lightly bend pushrods cause compression loss??

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
No the pushrods won't cause that
175 PSI is a decent number.
The lower PSI cylinders, that's ~ 12% loss. Not great but at least you have a base line now. Could be valve seats or rings, I would not chase that now since you indicated all the cylinders outside of 1 & 2 are in that range. So it looks like a piston did not hit a valve.
Assemble the engine with your new parts and see how it runs. Check the plugs after you get some miles on it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I didn't see this addressed anywhere so here goes. Before cranking and running the engine you need to get rid of the bent push rods. You don't need to run them even though they aren't bent bad. A push rod need to be able to spin in the engine and a bent pushrod hinders the ability to spin.

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
Agreed g2072. I see I missed the word 'new' in the last sentence of my post last night, but that's what I trying to say, I have edited that.
I was light on detail in that post.
The OP fist post was questioning cam timing and TDC as the engine has not run right since getting the car. With the compression test showing uneven compression the engine is showing some wear & that can make it difficult to tune. The bent pushrods from the rockers hitting the valve covers would compound that issue due to the exhaust valve events being altered. Now we know the bent pushrods were from the covers and not bent valves. I wanted to be cautious about just putting new pushrods in before eliminating the valves, I did not want the OP to bend up new parts if there was a valve issue.
Zander when you get it assembled and running it still may be difficult to tune. When I mentioned checking the spark plugs after some miles, look for oil on the spark plug threads. Oil on the threads indicate unburnt oil in the combustion chamber, further compounding the tuning issue. Now that you have a base line compression test, retesting the engine in the future can show you the heath of the engine, if it starts acting up.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts