Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone confirm if the picture shows the TDC mark on the hb in this older 350 engine. Think I need to get the slit (photo 1) aligned with the indicator in photo 2.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
It doesn't on your balancer, it does on the timing tab, attached to the timing chain cover. You will only know with a TDC plug, balancers do move with age. Having a mismatched tab and HB will not make things easier.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
yes the mark on the ballancer is the timming mark, and the tab in pic 2 is the timming tab. Did this motor come with the ballancer and timming cover installed? I ask , because there are three different timming marks for the SBC, you have to make sure you have the right ballancer with the right timming tab. You can tell if the ballancer you have is the right one for your timming tab behind the water pump. If you remove the pully on the HB and look at the position of the mark in relation to the keyway centerline, with your timming tab it should be 40º before the keyway, the line is to the LEFT of the keyway, looking at the front of the damper.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,532 Posts
Just wondering if anyone confirm if the picture shows the TDC mark on the hb in this older Edelbrock engine. Think I need to get the slit (photo 1) aligned with the indicator in photo 2. Thanks!
When the line/slot in the harmonic balancer (hb) lines up with the "0" indicator on the tab attached to the timing chain cover, your engine will be at #1 TDC... or #6 TDC.

To help confirm what cylinder is on TDC when the timing marks are aligned as stated above, there are a couple of things that you can do.
Info below originally posted by bracketchev70
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669071
Pull the driver side valve cover off and watch the rockers on cylinder #1 move. When the intake valve goes down and then comes up fully start to look for the timing mark on the balancer. Continue to turn the engine until the mark on the balancer is at the top of the timing pointer. 8-10 degrees before Top Dead center. Put your distributor in now with the rotor pointed at #1 on the cap. It should start.

ADDED NOTE: Sometimes, the distributor does not drop down completely onto the intake manifold because the tab within the distributor gear did not engage the slot in the oil pump shaft. When this happens, the rotor is not pointing at it's final position.
When I reinstall a distributor, I use a long flat blade screw driver to turn the slot in the oil pump shaft so it lines up the tab in the distributor gear... so the distributor drops all the way onto the intake and I can confirm the correct rotor position (it may take a few tries of slightly turning/adjusting the slot in the oil pump shaft to get everything to line up).
Once you get the engine to start, you will still need to use a timing light to accurately set the ignition timing.

Info below originally posted by g2072
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669071
Pull the number one spark plug out and hold your finger over the hole where the spark plug came out of. Have someone slowly bump the engine over with the key. When the compression starts to blow your finger away you should be in the right place. You can look at your timing marks but you should be right at or before TDC.

NOTE: All of the above info assumes that the outer hub on the hb has not shifted/moved from the inner hub on the hb AND you have the correct timing tab/indicator for the hb being used. The only way to confirm "true" TDC is to use a piston stop tool that can be inserted into the #1 spark plug hole (also mentioned by LS CHEVY II and firebird69racer).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts