Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everybody's opinion on the TCI torque arm suspension. I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering my front and rear suspension for my 66 build. I don't think California is collecting internet sales tax now so that would be a savings of 700 to 800 dollars. I have a 65 with the TCI IFS and rear four link but I'm thinking pro touring with torque arm for the 66. Anybody run one or have experience and want to chime in.

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went with the torque arm on my build. I am very happy with the quality of the parts and fitmet. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I like it on my nova. I was able to get it on the road this year and was just starting to get used to the entire setup from front to back. I took some sharp corners fast and the car felt really soild. I also went to the drag strip and ran a 10.5 @135 and the car felt really soild at those speeds. I didnt get a chance to autox it but that will be for next year. Overall I am happy with it and would purchase it agian.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have a TCI torque arm kit but it is not installed. It will be integrated into the full frame I’m building.

There are other torque arm suspensions on the market that you should at least take a look at. I really liked the Speedtech design but at the time when I bought mine they didn’t have a setup for the 62-67 Nova. Look up Romancommander’s build page for his 73. Chassis Works also have a torque arm system that can be highly optioned with various control arms, Watts link, sway bars, coil overs and bolt-in or backhalf frame kits.

The whole point of the torque arm suspension is to minimize the bind that takes place in most live axle suspension treatments. A triangulated 4 link requires bind in order to keep the axle alignment consistent with the chassis as the suspension articulates and the body rolls through turns. Parallel 4 links are great for straight line work but are highly inhabited when when asked to articulate.. Leaf springs can be made to work quite well but there is always a bind present as the axle cycles on one side the twisting of the opposite leaf spring is there to influence what happens at the other side. Truck arms are great for handling as they don’t have much bind but they take up a lot of real estate under a small car that needs to have a proper exhaust system.. The exhaust routing path is also more congested it other bolt-in kits at the rear crossmember area but the truck arms require more space in the middle of the car.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the torque arm on my build. I am very happy with the quality of the parts and fitmet. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I like it on my nova. I was able to get it on the road this year and was just starting to get used to the entire setup from front to back. I took some sharp corners fast and the car felt really soild. I also went to the drag strip and ran a 10.5 @135 and the car felt really soild at those speeds. I didnt get a chance to autox it but that will be for next year. Overall I am happy with it and would purchase it agian. View attachment 412162 View attachment 412163
Did you put drop spindles on your front.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am running the TCI protouring front end with the 2inch lowering spindles.

If possible could you post a picture of your car. I'd love to see how it looks compared to my 65 with the older IFS with four link. I'm satisfied with the suspension on my 65. It handles great. I have put a softer rear spring on and I'm thinking about softening the front spring a little just to help ride quality on our pig trail roads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If possible could you post a picture of your car. I'd love to see how it looks compared to my 65 with the older IFS with four link. I'm satisfied with the suspension on my 65. It handles great. I have put a softer rear spring on and I'm thinking about softening the front spring a little just to help ride quality on our pig trail roads.

·
Registered
396 Posts
g2072, hope you don't mind my asking the respondents what spring rate they are running in their TQ Arms. Probably something that might benefit you down the road also if you go TQ Arm. On my TCI TQ Arm it came with 250 lb-in springs for my 66 Nova and it is stiff as a board. I saw somewhere, I think on SNS, they are now shipping with 200 lb-in and some are running as low as 135-175.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
g2072, hope you don't mind my asking the respondents what spring rate they are running in their TQ Arms. Probably something that might benefit you down the road also if you go TQ Arm. On my TCI TQ Arm it came with 250 lb-in springs for my 66 Nova and it is stiff as a board. I saw somewhere, I think on SNS, they are now shipping with 200 lb-in and some are running as low as 135-175.
Don't mind at all. The more information shared the better for all. My 65 with the four link came with 250 pound springs and I just put a set of 175's on it. You can actually feel the suspension working on it. I have 450 pound springs on the front and my plans are to try a 400 pound spring on it in the future. I am going to play with shock settings before putting springs on the front but ride quality is better with the 175's on the rear. My TA on the 66 won't have 250's

·
Vendor
1,230 Posts
What is everybody's opinion on the TCI torque arm suspension. I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering my front and rear suspension for my 66 build. I don't think California is collecting internet sales tax now so that would be a savings of 700 to 800 dollars. I have a 65 with the TCI IFS and rear four link but I'm thinking pro touring with torque arm for the 66. Anybody run one or have experience and want to chime in.
I am a TCI dealer and I can help you choose what is best for your car plus give you a good discount.
Tim
509 926 1429

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am a TCI dealer and I can help you choose what is best for your car plus give you a good discount.
Tim
509 926 1429
I talked to you a week or so ago about spring rates on my 65. I bought my front and rear suspension from you on my 65 a few years ago. When I get ready I'll be giving you a call. Maybe it won't be long. I appreciate it. For those who don't know Tim is a great guy to deal with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts