Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped and talked with the Charlotte Rod and Custom guys at the Autofair. Checked out the TCI 4-link kit. Nice! I picked up their flyer and they advertise 2 different kits. One for street and one for mini tub.

I am going to do a mini tub but I'm curious what the difference is in the kit. The mini tub kit costs a little more.

Anybody know what the difference is?

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
the mini-tub kit moves the bars inboard a bit from the regular street kit. off my head i'd say about 1 1/2-2" in. the mounts on the rearend are moved in accordingly also. the kit doesn't include any sheet metal for the actual mini-tub though. I have the regular kit on my 69 and so far so good.

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
^^^Jim is correct

The standard kit places the link bars farther out away from the frame rails. The mini-tub kit has special brackets(hence the cost difference) that places the link bars closer to the frame. The axle bracket centers and coilover crossmember mounts are different as well.

The standard kit CAN NOT be used on a mini-tubbed car but the mini-tub kit CAN be used on a stock tub car. So if you plan on mini-tubbing down the road you definitely want to use the mini-tub kit.

-J

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear frame mods ok with the mini-tub kit?

^^^Jim is correct

The standard kit places the link bars farther out away from the frame rails. The mini-tub kit has special brackets(hence the cost difference) that places the link bars closer to the frame. The axle bracket centers and coilover crossmember mounts are different as well.

The standard kit CAN NOT be used on a mini-tubbed car but the mini-tub kit CAN be used on a stock tub car. So if you plan on mini-tubbing down the road you definitely want to use the mini-tub kit.

-J
Thanks for the Info. If I use the mini-tub kit, what parts of the frame need to remain in the factory location? I am planning on sectioning the frame humps over the axle and moving them inward to better accommodate the tubs. Will I still be able to use this kit? Any pictures of this kit installed? Thanks again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are you guys gonna offer that torque arm setup to work with a mini tub? I think It would work great for drag racing also, just need the right rate spring and an anti roll bar setup. It seems to work great on the 3 and 4 gen f-bodies.

·
Vendor
1,230 Posts
Thanks for the Info. If I use the mini-tub kit, what parts of the frame need to remain in the factory location? I am planning on sectioning the frame humps over the axle and moving them inward to better accommodate the tubs. Will I still be able to use this kit? Any pictures of this kit installed? Thanks again.
Neither TCI 4-link kit requires moving the subframe rails. The are made to bolt to the subframe rails in the original location. If you move them the TCI kit will not fit properly.
Tim

·
Registered
225 Posts
Why don't you just mini tub it?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why don't you just mini tub it?
That was the initial plan however I don't like the idea of cutting small bits of the frame rails to accommodate the minitub kit. Im replacing all the surrounding sheetmetal anyway so I think id rather move the frame rails inward a couple of inches. Plus, this way I may gain a little more room. Im only thinking that ill move a 16" to 18" section. Really its more of a "pivot" than a "move". The front location of the rail will stay, the back location will move inward 2" or 3". Then ill fab up an angle piece of 2x3 tube to reattach the bumper support frame section. Then add some crossmembers to stiffen the structure.

That's what is in my head right now anyway. Unfortunately, this means I may not be able to use the TCI kit which I really like.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I just started a thread in the drivetrain section on my TCI four link install yesterday. The car just went on the rack yesterday afternoon. It is the mini tub kit , but I am not doing the tubs at this time. No money right now. :(
I will try to get a lot of pictures and post them. I'm not doing the install myself but I will be bugging the guys at the shop a lot:D So will try to get pics and post them in that thread.

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
That was the initial plan however I don't like the idea of cutting small bits of the frame rails to accommodate the minitub kit. Im replacing all the surrounding sheetmetal anyway so I think id rather move the frame rails inward a couple of inches. Plus, this way I may gain a little more room. Im only thinking that ill move a 16" to 18" section. Really its more of a "pivot" than a "move". The front location of the rail will stay, the back location will move inward 2" or 3". Then ill fab up an angle piece of 2x3 tube to reattach the bumper support frame section. Then add some crossmembers to stiffen the structure.

That's what is in my head right now anyway. Unfortunately, this means I may not be able to use the TCI kit which I really like.
As long as the front portion of the rails are intact where we mount our bracket you can still use our kit. The problen will lie in the fact that the link bars still sit outside of the frame so all the extra tire space from moving the rail will be negated.

Are you guys gonna offer that torque arm setup to work with a mini tub? I think It would work great for drag racing also, just need the right rate spring and an anti roll bar setup. It seems to work great on the 3 and 4 gen f-bodies.
We actually had the mini-tub T/A set-up BEFORE the non mini-tub kit. :yes:

-J

·
Registered
225 Posts
As long as the front portion of the rails are intact where we mount our bracket you can still use our kit. The problen will lie in the fact that the link bars still sit outside of the frame so all the extra tire space from moving the rail will be negated.

We actually had the mini-tub T/A set-up BEFORE the non mini-tub kit. :yes:

-J
It looks like a nice setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts