Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to raise the rear end of my '64 Nova just a bit to give me more tire clearance in the wheel wells. I have 255/ 40R17 Kumho tires on the back and they will rub if I enter a corner too fast and gets worse if anyone is in the back seat...even rubs if I creep over a speed bump. (front tires are 235/40R17)

I was going to just move the coil over lower bolt up one hole (green arrow in the pic). However, the link bar was in its lower hole and I had no room on that side to get the coil over bolt through (see red arrow in pic).

FYI - The picture shows everything BEFORE I made changes.

So, I moved the link bar up one hole to give me some room. Moving the link bar up one hole allowed me to move the coil over bolt up one hole to the middle hole.

Here are my questions...
1. What will my changes do to the car handling?
2. Did adjusting the Link Bar counter act the Coil Over adjustment?
3. Should I put the link bar back and find a shorter coil over bolt?
4. Will this solve/help my tire rub issue? ...or should I just go to a narrower tire?

Thanks for your help and advice
Tyler

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have some threads to maneuver on the coilover but was going to use that for "fine-tuning" as needed. ...or where you thinking a different spring all together?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the adjustments I took it out for a drive. It did seem better regarding tire rub. I also filled up the gas tank and put someone in the back seat to add weight. The tire rub was all but gone unless I got aggressive on a corner (at low speed). I cranked the wheel over turning onto a side street at about 10 mph and finally got a tire to rub again. There was no more tire rub going over speed bumps so I think I went in the right direction.

Regarding the performance/handling, it seemed just fine. I didn't feel like the car was squirrely at all. My test was some serpentine down a quiet street and in the parking lot, then some road driving up to 60 mph. The only issue I had was the motor stalled on an aggressive right turn...but that's a different issue for a different thread. ;-)

I attached the before and after pics so you can see the change. BEFORE pic shows coilover and rear link bar bolts in the bottom holes. The forward end of the link bar was not changed (separate pic shows it's position). It also has 2 holes but I left it in the lower hole as it was.

Again, any advice is appreciated and helpful as I learn more about this TCI Suspension system. Thanks so much Nova Friends!

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Is the tire rub on both sides? I had this problem on my 65 I used the panhard bar and moved the rear end over a bit so I had the same amount on both sides

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, tire rub happens on left and right sides. It seems fairly "equal" as far as making left or right turns...and both definitely used to rub on the speed bumps and steep driveways. I'll take some measurements though. That is a great tip! Thanks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I do have some threads to maneuver on the coilover but was going to use that for "fine-tuning" as needed. ...or where you thinking a different spring all together?
Looks like you got it sorted out by varying the mounting points however you probably could have saved some time and just made a few turns on the coilover. The coilover allows for probably 1-2" or more of height adjustability in just a few minutes. I have Ridetechs on my car and can go from slammed to disco 70's jacked in less than 10 minutes per corner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts