Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of picking out/ browsing/ dreaming of wheels I would like to get and I'm going to settle on torque thrust most likely. My question is has anyone on here run the 17x9.5 with the 5.5 backspace on the front of the TCI pro touring kit( I purchased it in 2017). I talked to evan from tci a few months ago and got the specs.
He recommends a 17x9 with a 5.75 backspace with a 255/40/17 tire. I guess I want to know how close the wheel or tire will be to the fender on my 66. I know it's just a 1/4 inch more it would be sticking out towards the fender from the backspacing, but then another half inch with the wheel width size. The wheel size width may not affect it so much I feel because i would still be running a 255 tire, which might give it a ever so slight stretch look. I wouldn't be afriad to roll the lip or do some modifications, I just don't want to be up against something that actually wouldn't work. I would like to buy billet specialties street lite and just get the correct offset but those would cost double.

I'm very limited to other wheel choices as well for my rear end. I need a 17x9.0, 9.5, or 10.0 with a 5.0 backspace or less. I find it very difficult to find a off the shelf wheel in that dimension. The wheels that come close then have a small hub bore size of around 72mm and those wouldn't fit for the front . The front on my wilwood dynalite hub needs a hub bore size of 80mm. I've seen people take a router and router a curved radius to make wheels fit, but I have never done that and dont want to be stuck with wheels that dont fit over the hub bore.

With all that said, off the shelf torque thrust would seem like the only ones that would work. They have a 80mm bore size, affordable, and would work for my rear end if I ran a 1/2 or 3/4 inch spacer. I have longer studs that came with my axles so I could put those on.

Any insights or ideas would be great cause I'm all out of them on my end. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Look up Anchor and Firstgenarmy build threads I believe those guys are running 11” wide front wheels as I recall.. Both had PT front clips..

·
Registered
113 Posts
NOT ANOTHER TORQ THRUST! Tell ya what, buy me some centerlines (old skool) or better yet, Cragar SST and i'll swap you my Torq thrusts.

I like the look of the Torq, however it seems everybody and their MAMA has them. Kinda like '20s are now. Everybody has em.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look up Anchor and Firstgenarmy build threads I believe those guys are running 11” wide front wheels as I recall.. Both had PT front clips..
Thanks leading me towards them. I actually have talked to anchor before about his wheel setup. Hes running a 255 in the front. First gen army has a great picture with his wheels on and fenders on.
NOT ANOTHER TORQ THRUST! Tell ya what, buy me some centerlines (old skool) or better yet, Cragar SST and i'll swap you my Torq thrusts.

I like the look of the Torq, however it seems everybody and their MAMA has them. Kinda like '20s are now. Everybody has em.
Yea I hear ya. They are not my first choice but if I have to settle on them to keep the project going to get other things, then I may do it. Still up in the air but I would like to see if the torqs would work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts