Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck Between a TCI or a Checkered Racing front suspension. Can do all upgrades on a Checkered Racing and still $1000.00 less than TCI. Any thoughts or tips in what to do also Heidt's is in there with the coil spring front but thinking the ride is better with the coilovers...

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,487 Posts
I went with Checkered Racing and did all of the upgrades/ modifications. I like what I have but it was a journey.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have TCI, very happy with, only thing I didnt like about checkered racing front clips, was the non adjustable front support bars, ya have to weld them on,
I think they offer them for $100 more.
I went with Checkered Racing and did all of the upgrades/ modifications. I like what I have but it was a journey.....
Do you feel like you get enouth travelk in the suspension?

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
If you're not comfortable welding then the Checkered Racing clip may not be for you. As far as travel If I removed my shocks the cross beam would be on the ground. You also want drop spindles. My lower control arms are level when the car is at stock ride height with two inch drop spindles.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
The older TCI front clips relied on shim plates just as the factory front clips and many of the aftermarket front clips still use. There is a good bit of trial fitting to get them right but once you get it mocked up you will know how many shims you will need.. I have had both types of TCI support bars on a couple of different clips. The adjustment process is much simpler with the TCI threaded heim joint setup.. I don’t think it would be a deal breaker to have a shim plate setup as most people will probably not be pulling their cars apart once the build it.. I have seen a new revised prototype support bar and inner fender setup for the TCI Protouring clip that will make more room for wider front wheels.. That would be a reason to sway your decision on the front suspension..

My TCI Mustang II clip with shim plate front support bars.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

This is my TCI PT clip with the standard adjustable support bars.
Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The older TCI front clips relied on shim plates just as the factory front clips and many of the aftermarket front clips still use. There is a good bit of trial fitting to get them right but once you get it mocked up you will know how many shims you will need.. I have had both types of TCI support bars on a couple of different clips. The adjustment process is much simpler with the TCI threaded heim joint setup.. I don’t think it would be a deal breaker to have a shim plate setup as most people will probably not be pulling their cars apart once the build it.. I have seen a new revised prototype support bar and inner fender setup for the TCI Protouring clip that will make more room for wider front wheels.. That would be a reason to sway your decision on the front suspension..

My TCI Mustang II clip with shim plate front support bars.
View attachment 438008
View attachment 438012

This is my TCI PT clip with the standard adjustable support bars.
View attachment 438011 View attachment 438010
Nova Thug do you see a difference in ride from the mustang 2 front clip to the IFS/PT? The car will just be a cruiser not a road racer or drag car

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
The mustang II 5" coil spring should provide the softest ride but finding the perfect ride height is much easier using coilovers.

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
I'd rather use the non-adjustable support tubes and weld them in once the alignment is perfect. Then they are rock-solid with no chance of loosening. You shouldn't ever need to adjust them again after that.

That's why the adjustable tubes didn't become the norm from all the manufacturers. They really don't add a whole lot to the end result.

I know I didn't want them.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Nova Thug do you see a difference in ride from the mustang 2 front clip to the IFS/PT? The car will just be a cruiser not a road racer or drag car
Both of these cars are still under construction so ride quality is feedback will be pretty generic information.. The Mustang II type suspension with separate coil springs and shock absorbers will under most circumstances likely provide a more plush ride if you don’t have too high of a spring rate.. The main reason for going to a coilover setup is the ease of tuning and adjustment.. A standard Mustang II suspension doesn’t have that type of adjustment. There are some retrofit coilover conversions available for them If you decide you want some more adjustment.. The TCI PT clip has superior suspension geometry and offers more adjustable features that make it a better choice for Autocross and road course if you have that kind of interest. For just a cruiser it’s probably a bit of an overkill but it can be done.. CPP basically took over manufacturing the TCI Mustang II front clip design when TCI decided to drop it from their lineup around 10 years ago. They have made some revisions to the MII design as well. Some people have had problems with the upper control arms slipping in the slotted adjustment holes. I figure most who have experienced this with any MII clip probably didn’t have the cross shaft mounting bolts torqued adequately. The CPP MII clip has thecross shaft mounted vertically and uses shims to make alignment adjustments.. This take that problem out of the equation.. There are plenty of good MII clips on the market and finding one that suits your needs shouldn’t be a problem.. There are some out there that have known quality control issues and I would steer clear of them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both of these cars are still under construction so ride quality is feedback will be pretty generic information.. The Mustang II type suspension with separate coil springs and shock absorbers will under most circumstances likely provide a more plush ride if you don’t have too high of a spring rate.. The main reason for going to a coilover setup is the ease of tuning and adjustment.. A standard Mustang II suspension doesn’t have that type of adjustment. There are some retrofit coilover conversions available for them If you decide you want some more adjustment.. The TCI PT clip has superior suspension geometry and offers more adjustable features that make it a better choice for Autocross and road course if you have that kind of interest. For just a cruiser it’s probably a bit of an overkill but it can be done.. CPP basically took over manufacturing the TCI Mustang II front clip design when TCI decided to drop it from their lineup around 10 years ago. They have made some revisions to the MII design as well. Some people have had problems with the upper control arms slipping in the slotted adjustment holes. I figure most who have experienced this with any MII clip probably didn’t have the cross shaft mounting bolts torqued adequately. The CPP MII clip has thecross shaft mounted vertically and uses shims to make alignment adjustments.. This take that problem out of the equation.. There are plenty of good MII clips on the market and finding one that suits your needs shouldn’t be a problem.. There are some out there that have known quality control issues and I would steer clear of them.
Awesome than you for that information! i will be looking at the TCI unit in the IFS model.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have the Checkered Racing Mustang II with sway bar, 2" dropped spindles, and had no problems. You need to weld down bars and motor mounts. I also used their 4 link rear set up with welding required but no problems. I built my car as a budget build, not no expense spared. The suspension works great, and Checkered Racing has been under new ownership for a few years now, so check them out. Some on here gave them a bad rap, but I say the savings are worth a little extra work. Call and talk to them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts