Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
QA1 Mustang II Coil-Over Conversion Systems.

Has anyone here used this kit yet. if so how did it turn out. If not why???

Looking to put this on the 62

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thats what I used, and the TCI 4 link rear. love them both. went in easy with no problems. No trick or hints, real straight forward. good craftmenship also.:D

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
I have them on my '64. They are very-nice with an excellent spring rate and nice ride. They are for use with the factory-style Mustang II x-member that still retains the upper spring "hat". This permits the use of a coil-over shock with larger diameter conical coil springs than conventional coil-overs have and a better spring rate (and ride). They are great if you plan to go with tubular control arms.

Another way you can convert to coil-overs with the standard Mustang II is to go with "captured" coil-overs with the factory-style upper shock mount. The factory-style coil spring "hat" is still intact but is not used with these type of coil-overs. I used to have a pair of Koni's like this on my '64 but the QA-1s are a lot nicer and ride better.

I use a stock-style Mustang II x-member with narrowed Heidts polished stainless tubular control arms, Heidts forged 2" drop spindles, the QA-1 Mustang II coil-overs, Wilwood Dynalite II disc brakes (with Heidts "zero-offset" hubs and caliper mounting brackets). No complaints here. ;)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i have the QA1 Beehive style coil-overs on my '64.

i have a Heidt's MustangII clip. when i converted to coil-overs i opted for their larger tube, structurally stronger lower arms. no modifying the std coil spring type arms. Heidt's recommended not to.

i have single adjustable shocks and if i had it to do all over again i'd have opted for the double adjustable shocks. the variations are limitless with doubles, very limited on singles.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We've installed and sold several Heidt's Mustang II front clips with the coilover option. As others have said, it is an easy upgrade and the ride and performance are very good. By design they can run a longer overall spring than a standard coilover so the spring rate doesn't have to be as stiff & it allows for good travel. IMO they are a good choice for cars that are mainly street driven.

·
Registered
295 Posts
are these strong enough to hold the bottom connection on a tci a arm? love the ease of installation but how they hold all the weight on the bolt looks alil weak. i am using a big block not a light ls1. thoughts?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the through bolt for the shock with the coil-overs is a larger diameter than with std shocks... is that what you're asking?

this is regarding the Heidt's coil over a arms. i don't know what TCI does...

TCI's coil over a arms are different than Heidt's. Heidt's uses QA's, TCI uses their own brand i think...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just mocked up my new TCI Mustang II. I opted for the coil over's :confused: They look a littel sketchy to me there's only about 4.5" of travel in the shock. Beautiful kit though fit's like a glove. Just some concern's on how this thing is gonna ride. Also the diameter of the hole in the spring hat verses the rubber bushing's is way to large it seems it shopuld have some kind of bushing to take up the slop. Im gonna have to contact them on that it just dosent seem right.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the beehive coil over conversion i see uses the spring hat. but instead of spring sitting on the plate of lower a arm, all the presure is on the bolt that holds the shock. seems to me this would be to much extra added wait for a bolt that was designed to just support a shock. not weight of car.

obviously people have done this already. just wondering if anything broke or bent on the a arm mount

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
the beehive coil over conversion i see uses the spring hat. but instead of spring sitting on the plate of lower a arm, all the presure is on the bolt that holds the shock. seems to me this would be to much extra added wait for a bolt that was designed to just support a shock. not weight of car.

obviously people have done this already. just wondering if anything broke or bent on the a arm mount

Both TCI and Heidts use a 1/2" hardened bolt in the lower coilover mount. I have sold many of both brands with absolutely no problems with bent a-arms or bent bolts.
Tim

·
Registered
159 Posts
No missing part's. It was my bad on the install..:) There is just alot of tension on the install of the spring's, but after reading the install brochure and using a ratchet strap to compress thing's. I see now how the bushings will compress after tightening the top nut on top of the shock, and settel in were it should be.
While were on subject, and not so to bother "Tim" anymore. LOL:D I have another question for the TCI guy's. The bolt's for the upper control arm's, my kit came with two style's a set that are keyed to fit and a set that are not keyed to bolt to the frame? What is the prefferd one's to use?

I will say agin though the craftmanship on this kit is beautifull. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these IMO you'd be hard pressed to find one with this quality for the money!

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
No missing part's. It was my bad on the install..:) There is just alot of tension on the install of the spring's, but after reading the install brochure and using a ratchet strap to compress thing's. I see now how the bushings will compress after tightening the top nut on top of the shock, and settel in were it should be.
While were on subject, and not so to bother "Tim" anymore. LOL:D I have another question for the TCI guy's. The bolt's for the upper control arm's, my kit came with two style's a set that are keyed to fit and a set that are not keyed to bolt to the frame? What is the prefferd one's to use?

I will say agin though the craftmanship on this kit is beautifull. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these IMO you'd be hard pressed to find one with this quality for the money!
If you have the new style front end the bolts mount to a vertical plate and the it'll use the regular 9/16" button head bolts. The keyed or T-bolts are only used on the old design.

Here are some pics of the new design so you can differentiate the two.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1813187&postcount=13

-J

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
I have a heidt's clip that I converted to the beehive coil overs using TCI's shocks, lower a arms & 1" swaybar. (had 3/4 bar before)

Car handles way way WAY better than before I'm 100% happy I did it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks TCI guy, for clearing up the bolt question..

I have a heidt's clip that I converted to the beehive coil overs using TCI's shocks, lower a arms & 1" swaybar. (had 3/4 bar before)

Car handles way way WAY better than before I'm 100% happy I did it.
Sweeeeeet! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts