Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mocking up the front end on my '66 with the TCI front clip and inner fender panels (aluminum).
My problem is where the panel bolts to the core support (the 3 bolt holes around the middle of the core support). It seems like the core support leans a bit forward while the fender panels seem to be cut at an opposite angle. That is, at the bottom of the panel and the core support, the gap seems workable. However, at the top of the core support and the panel (the top hole), there is a gap of more than an inch which, in my mind means no amount of bending is going to work. I have attached a pic of the pass side that I hope will help you visualize the issue.
I have read that TCI didn't do a great job designing the panels but I bought all this stuff about 3 years ago (I'm a little slow) so maybe I either have the wrong panels or they have done some redeign in the meantime.
Looking for input from others that may have run into this.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
Have you tried setting a fender on the car to see if possibly the core supt needs to be forced back?Just an idea.Most fitment issues if i remember right were at the fender/ inner panel near the hood.Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looks to me like the fender is on it.I'm having the same trouble with my Heidts right now.Let us know if you figure it out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Im doing my 67 TCI clip now and they fit fine. By that pic it looks like you have a big gap at the top and it looks like the fender is bolted to the core support which pretty much sets the distance to where the core cupport sits. Strange, when I get off work tonight I'll take top and bottom length measurements so we can tell if you have the right parts.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
I had to do some work on mine. I found that I had to trim the tops of the panels where they tuck up under the fenders from front to back. Very few of the upper bolt holes matched up. Bolt the inner panels to the core support & get the fenders & sheet metal fitted before you attach the lower part of the inner panel to the frame rails.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I measured the TCI panels on my 67. Its still in mock up but ive had a fender on to check and all the holes line up and I might have to shim another 1/8" or so if that. My inner fender panels fit fine and are bolted to the core support and have about a 1/4" gap between the panels and firewall and its constant from top to bottom. They arent attached to the lower frame yet, I will drill those holes last after everything is on and lined up.
I measured the length front to back of the panels. The top measurement is 35 1/4" This is measured on the middle brake (bend), the one thats approx 80 degrees, toward the top that makes the shelf. The bottom measurement is approx 34 1/2. This is measured at the bottom brake (bend) and doesnt include the notch (the notch makes it shorter). Let me know if you need clarification of where I measured. These panels fit so you should be able to use the measurements to at least see if you have the right panels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts