Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't mention what competitor I spoke with, but while bringing up TCI I was told they use the Mustang II syle front clip. The person explained that the Mustang II was designed as a good handling front clip to add to cars such as 1930's style street rods. He made it seem as if it was kinda like a universal piece that shops are modifying to work on Novas and Camaros and similar vehicles. It sounds like it is good choice over stock, but not a good choice if you really want more of a performance clip.

I do know that TCI makes a new pro-touring clip for '66 Novas. Can someone please weigh in on this (even TCI member) and educate me a little please.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
First you need to decide what you are going to do with your car. Drag car, road racer or an everyday nice driver. IMHO

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,916 Posts
I won't mention what competitor I spoke with, but while bringing up TCI I was told they use the Mustang II syle front clip. The person explained that the Mustang II was designed as a good handling front clip to add to cars such as 1930's style street rods. He made it seem as if it was kinda like a universal piece that shops are modifying to work on Novas and Camaros and similar vehicles. It sounds like it is good choice over stock, but not a good choice if you really want more of a performance clip.

I do know that TCI makes a new pro-touring clip for '66 Novas. Can someone please weigh in on this (even TCI member) and educate me a little please.

Thanks in advance.

The Mustang II clip in those instances is really the Mustang II spindle. This one piece has revolutionized the entire hot rod/ performance community. You will find them everywhere not just on Hot rods from the thirties. Look under a Cobra and in most instances you'll see these spindles. They are kinda like the Small bock Chevy of suspension.:yes:

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
Like Prag already mentioned the only thing "MII" on our "MII Clip" is the spindle. We've made countless changes to that clip over the years including geometry and it is the best budget oriented clip on the market with great all around performance and street manners. This kit is 30 lbs lighter than stock and allows up to an inch and half wider wheel and tire package. We offer the aluminum inner panels as an upgrade which takes another 15 pounds off.

Here are some things we've changed over the years.
*Larger lower control arms for added strength
*Heavier duty lower ball joints for added strength
*Longer shocks to allow for more travel (both compression & extension)
*Offset ball joint cups so the ball joints don't bind at full compression or extension
*Spindle pins are .25" longer to make sure the outer wheel bearing fully seats(thanks Johnny LOL)
*wider track width and shock mount poiints to improve geometry and motion ratio
*decreases bump steer by lowering the rack which also makes more room for the oil pan
*Increase anti-dive so the front end stays level during hard braking
*Moved the upper control arm mounts lower to increase camber gain
*adjustable down bars
*redesigned inner panels to make installation easier
*slotted the holes on the hinge brackets so they are easier to install
*added 1/2" extensions to the hood hinge bracket for 2nd gens so they fit better
*The lower control arm pins are now one piece instead of two for added strength
*The anti-sway bar now attaches to the front to allow LS engine clearance
*we now use Energy Suspensions new slotted bushings that helped eliminate squeeks

Adjustable down bars and front mounted 1" anti-sway bar standard.

We have a completely redesigned upper control arm mount that uses shims instead of the old style t-bolts. This makes alignment changes much easier and allows for more adjustment.

This is our new Pro Touring front end based on a round tube design and our custom spindle. This front end is a no compromise performance front end. Whether you are cruising, autocrossing, road racing, or even drag racing this front end has you covered. This front end sits lower than the MII yet has more ground clearance. It is 60 pounds lighter than stock and comes with aluminum inner panels standard and also allows a 1.5" wider wheel & tire package. The geometry of this front end is completely proprietary to TCI Engineering. The lower coil-over mount was moved out towards the ball joint to keep the roll resitance as high possible. The shock also sits as cloe to vertical as possible to also keep roll resistance as high possible. The lower arms are longer and the upper arms are shorter than a typical MII set-up which helps with motion ratio and camber gain on such a tight vehicle package. Our custom spindle is taller and has more kingpin inclination as well. Camber gain is adjustable (.5 on the upper setting and 1.2 on the lower setting) so you can have your cake and eat it too.

-J

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so after some research and opinions from other Nova owners, I purchased the TCI pro-touring front clip and the rear torque arm set up. I also got the Ford 9" with Tru Trac posi and Willwood calipers on all four corners. This should get me on the road FINALLY. I know I didn't get as many replies as some posts do, but I would really like to thank the people that did reply.

So far I am very happy with the customer service at TCI. I will post more when I actually pick up the parts and begin installing them. Hopefully if I have any questions or problems, TCI will help resolve the issues.

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
Ok, so after some research and opinions from other Nova owners, I purchased the TCI pro-touring front clip and the rear torque arm set up. I also got the Ford 9" with Tru Trac posi and Willwood calipers on all four corners. This should get me on the road FINALLY. I know I didn't get as many replies as some posts do, but I would really like to thank the people that did reply.

So far I am very happy with the customer service at TCI. I will post more when I actually pick up the parts and begin installing them. Hopefully if I have any questions or problems, TCI will help resolve the issues.
What kind of time frame for completion are you looking at? Make sure to send me pics as it progresses. [email protected] Or just link me to your build thread if you have one and I'll follow along.

Thank you very much for the business.

-J

·
Banned
26,231 Posts

*Spindle pins are .25" longer to make sure the outer wheel bearing fully seats(thanks Johnny LOL)

-J
it may have come across wrong but was listened to anyways... so thanks for that. ;)

we all appreciate the participation & support Jason, it shows what kind of company TCI really is, and that's proven to be "Top Notch" :thumbsup:

i never try to go out of my way to be mean & rotten, it's just the way i am, i DO appreciate all you/TCI has done. ;)

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
it may have come across wrong but was listened to anyways... so thanks for that. ;)

we all appreciate the participation & support Jason, it shows what kind of company TCI really is, and that's proven to be "Top Notch" :thumbsup:

i never try to go out of my way to be mean & rotten, it's just the way i am, i DO appreciate all you/TCI has done. ;)
I looove you mannnnn! :grouphug: :D

-J

·
Registered
914 Posts

Guys can argue till the cows come home on who's clip is best. And unless you're an engineer don't bother trying. I can speak from experience when I say their after sales service is great. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
479 Posts

How is your front clip and rear TA treating you? I just got mine out of powder coating t-minus 30 days til install. Can't wait!!!:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
tci early mustang 2 clip

Like Prag already mentioned the only thing "MII" on our "MII Clip" is the spindle. We've made countless changes to that clip over the years including geometry and it is the best budget oriented clip on the market with great all around performance and street manners. This kit is 30 lbs lighter than stock and allows up to an inch and half wider wheel and tire package. We offer the aluminum inner panels as an upgrade which takes another 15 pounds off.

*Offset ball joint cups so the ball joints don't bind at full compression or extension
*decreases bump steer by lowering the rack which also makes more room for the oil pan
*adjustable down bars
*added 1/2" extensions to the hood hinge bracket for 2nd gens so they fit better
*we now use Energy Suspensions new slotted bushings that helped eliminate squeeks

We have a completely redesigned upper control arm mount that uses shims instead of the old style t-bolts. This makes alignment changes much easier and allows for more adjustment.

This is our new Pro Touring front end based on a round tube design and our custom spindle. This front end is a no compromise performance front end. Whether you are cruising, autocrossing, road racing, or even drag racing this front end has you covered. This front end sits lower than the MII yet has more ground clearance. It is 60 pounds lighter than stock and comes with aluminum inner panels standard and also allows a 1.5" wider wheel & tire package. The geometry of this front end is completely proprietary to TCI Engineering. The lower coil-over mount was moved out towards the ball joint to keep the roll resitance as high possible. The shock also sits as cloe to vertical as possible to also keep roll resistance as high possible. The lower arms are longer and the upper arms are shorter than a typical MII set-up which helps with motion ratio and camber gain on such a tight vehicle package. Our custom spindle is taller and has more kingpin inclination as well. Camber gain is adjustable (.5 on the upper setting and 1.2 on the lower setting) so you can have your cake and eat it too.

-J
I have the early tci mustang 2 under my 67 nova and i,m having hell trying to fiquire out how to hook up the clutch opponents
about a year ago i called tci and was shipped a bracket to bolt or weld to the frame but it seems like the stock z-bar or bellcrank as its called is about 3 inches to long.
can you give me any pointers with pictures on what i need

·
Registered
122 Posts

*adjustable down bars

-J
i have the early tci mustang 2 and i can not fiquire how to hook up the clutch
components z-bar or bell crank as its also called.
i talked to tci rep about a year ago and was sent a bracket that either welds or bolts to the frame but z bar still seems about 3 inches to long.
can you give me info with pictures of what problem maybe
Image06212014181035.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts