Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently installing a Tci fourlink and ran into a problem with the shock mounts. I installed them exactly how the directions said and they are too close to the axle. Has anyone else had this issue? I’m going to move them back about a 1/2” or so to fix it. I set the mount exactly 27 13/16 from the crossmember like the directions said. Now my panhard bar is about an 1/2” from being parallel with the axle and the shocks are not level.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The panard bar won't b parallel until it's on the ground. Also the shocks will also lean in some to the shock mount above and be leaning in twoard the middle at the top.

I can't understand what you mean about the shock mount. It should be behind the third member if measured what the directions state. Why don't you take some pictures and post them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me reword it I was frustrated when I typed that earlier. It says in the directions to put the front of the shock mount 27 13/16 from the back of the 4 link cross member. Which I did but in my case that was too close to the axle. My shocks were in a bind leaning forward towards the axle. My panhard bar was almost rubbing the passenger side shock. It was 6 3/8 from the axle on the drivers side but around 5 3/4 from the passenger side of the axle. I’ve taken it apart and moved the shock mount back an inch and it straightened everything thing out.maybe I did something wrong somewhere but I don’t know what it would be. I pulled measurements from string lines and plum bobs.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or not?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Now that looks right. How long are your 4 link bars. They are suppose to be 20" on center to center of the bushings.

Also there is nothing wrong with having the shocks the way you do. They do clear the tube of the rear end if turned with the spring up. That miight would have given you the clearance without moving the shock mounting bar. My shock springs ae really close to the brake lines on my rear end.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I started at 20” had to adjust the lower links out a bit to level up the brackets.
If the 4 bar cross member is mounted right and square to the car, the links should all be the same length to keep the rear square with the car. If one side is longer it will have your rear end slightly askew diagonally. Could make the car drive funny to one side and be harder to align. You picture though looks just like the one on the instruction sheet. I didn' have any problems installing my 4 link and I welded the brackets on my 8.5 Chevy rear end I narrowed. Everything measured just like the directions and fit perfectly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts