Chevy Nova Forum banner

Which front clip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 63 wagon. I'm going to be purchasing a front clip in the near future. I'm deciding between the tci front clips and cbr clip.
The car is a cruiser and rearly will be on a track or road course. But I do plan on driving this car everywhere. I already have the tci 4 link on the car.
My question is. What's the difference between the tci custom ifs and the pro touring clip?*
I know that the church boys front clip isnt out yet. But does anyone have any info on it yet? Or have seen it in person.

So do I go with someone who's been building nova clips for years (tci) and is local to me. or a company who's Relatively new to the nova suspension thing. (Church boys racing)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I would start out with this thought in mind.. You really don’t have any bad choices in this list of front end treatments..

What it will come down to is what your priorities are and how you figure on using the car.. The two TCI clips offer a completely new front subframe which opens up the engine bay considerably.. Loosing the spring towers is a pretty big deal and makes working on the engine a good bit less cramped. Both full clips are solid well built units with different priorities in mind. The custom IFS has been around for a long time and has been revised over the years. It’s a major improvement over the stock Nova front end. It was TCI’s king of the hill prior to the Protouring clips release. It still commands respect but does not have the tuning adjustments that the PT clip offers nor the aggressive geometry.. If you are looking to build really nice cruiser with a custom front end that is better suited to straight line romps and some occasional track time the Custom IFS clip is a good way too go. If superior geometry is important and you intend to carve some corners then the Protouring clip might be worth considering. You might need to figure out if the parallel 4 link suspension you have on the wagon will be a good complement to the PT clip. It might be a little too stiff to get the full advantage of the PT clips geometry.. Though Kleen63 had the custom IFS and parallel 4 link suspension and did some very respectable handling challenges before the PT clip was on the market.. As for the CBR clip I have yet to see anything on it here on SNS other then the development has been in progress but I have yet to see any builds or installs at this point and don’t know if it is ready to release to the market.. CBR has a dedicated commitment to Nova's and they live and breath Nova’s with a passion.. I’m sure what they release to the market will change the game just as their bolt on front suspensions have done..!

·
6,463 Posts
CBR upper and lower along with their Viking coil overs is another option. There is a limitation of oil pan unless you also go with he rack and pinion steering. Many have gone this route and I don't hear nothing but praise for the system. Personally I prefer the look of the stock inner fenders to go along with the Nova cars.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
As for the CBR clip I have yet to see anything on it here on SNS other then the development has been in progress but I have yet to see any builds or installs at this point and don’t know if it is ready to release to the market.. CBR has a dedicated commitment to Nova's and they live and breath Nova’s with a passion.. I’m sure what they release to the market will change the game just as their bolt on front suspensions have done..!
I helped with the install of the 2 prototypes last fall. It is an amazing set up and it allowed for a 265/35R18 tire on the front. It isn't ready for release yet but may be worth the wait. The same arms, and rack are used as the stock clip. So upgrading to the CBR parts now on the stock clip would also be able to be used when the clip is released.

The bare clip mounted to the 66 that went to SEMA.

This is a photo showing the inner fender, the down tube is behind it for a clean under hood look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tci

If you already have the TCI 4 link and are happy with it, I think you already answered your own question. The TCI PT is a great IFS as NovaThug said. I would follow his advice and not go with a new unproven product. TCI or Heidt will be your best bet. I had so much room after the new IFS install, I put in an LS3 in my 63 convertible. Tons of room with the flat panel install and it looks way cleaner than stock shock towers.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The later TCI front clip has another frame loop that the upper control arms attach to, the older version is more a a Mustang II setup although improved. The older MIIs adjusted camber with a slotted crossmember,I don't remember if the TCI setup has that or not but it is a weak point. The Church Boys stuff is cool because you can upgrade a little at a time in addition to their geometry improvement and quality.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The later TCI front clip has another frame loop that the upper control arms attach to, the older version is more a a Mustang II setup although improved. The older MIIs adjusted camber with a slotted crossmember,I don't remember if the TCI setup has that or not but it is a weak point. The Church Boys stuff is cool because you can upgrade a little at a time in addition to their geometry improvement and quality.
TCI no longer makes the Mustang II front clip and while it did have hardware that worked out of slotted adjustment holes in the upper spring pocket, I wouldn’t consider it a week point. It requires adequate torque to maintain its position but is quite easy to make alignment adjustments for camber and caster.. later versions of the Mustang II departed from the adjusting slots and the CPP Mustang II kit is for all intensive purposes the continuation of the last iteration of the TCI Mustang II clip design and developments.. The Custom Coilover clip shares very little in common with the Mustang II clips. The arms, spindles, coilovers, and alignment hardware are all different from the MII. None of the components that bolt on to this clip are shared with the MII clip with maybe one exception which is the sway bar.. The main subframe structure is probably the same basic specs as far as rail spacing and 2x3 materials but that’s about it..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to thank everyone who chimed in. I decided to go with the tci ifs. I orderded it threw Tim's hot rods. He was a great person to deal with. He was able to explain everything to me. The best part he was able to get me a great deal.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I want to thank everyone who chimed in. I decided to go with the tci ifs. I orderded it threw Tim's hot rods. He was a great person to deal with. He was able to explain everything to me. The best part he was able to get me a great deal.
Sweet. I have two tci pro touring clips on my cars and wouldn’t use anyone else. They are proven units with the best warranty. You will be happy with it

·
Registered
20 Posts

Any updates since the purchase? I am in the same boat as you minus the 4 link. Very curious in the CBR front but seems considerably higher than TCI.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any updates since the purchase? I am in the same boat as you minus the 4 link. Very curious in the CBR front but seems considerably higher than TCI.
I ended up going with tci custom ifs. I spoke to tci and they steered me in the right direction for the use of the car. I'm not planning on road racing anytime soon. So I didnt need to spend the extra money for the pro touring if im never going to use the full potential of it.
And the chery on top. Tci is local to me.

I also got a killer deal threw Tim's hotrods. Tim was super helpful. And walked me threw all my options. And upgrades.
I was missing a couple parts. So when I called him. He was on top of everything. And got my parts to me super fast with no problems.

And the church boys stuff wasnt out yet when I was looking into getting a new front end.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
836 Posts
Was just looking at CBR website and it says the 62-65 modular front subframe is now available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts