Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has installed a TCI front clip on a 65. I am having problems compressing the coil springs to put it together. Does anyone have a technique that they used that would help. I have manual spring compressors but with them still on the spring I cant fit them in the clip...:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I put my spring compressor a couple of coils from the end with the shaft coming out the bottom and they went right in. Now they have to come out because the springs or too stiff.:mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
In all honesty, if you don't know the proper and---->safe way to install them, you should find someone who does. Coil springs can and do maim and kill people. There's some tricks to doing them and a chain wrapped through the spring so it can't fly out is one.

Be careful, Jim

·
Registered
407 Posts
go to your local auto parts store.

they will let you rent a pair of coil compressors.well it is free they just put a deposite on your card in case you dont bring them back.

that is the best way and the safe way to do it.

dont try doing it in a way that wight hurt you its not worth it

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts

I use a internal spring compressor. Just use the bottom half. Stick the threaded part through the shock hole and put to nut on. Tighten it and pull the spring into the pocket until you can get the nut on the ball joint.
Tim

·
Registered
968 Posts

I use a internal spring compressor. Just use the bottom half. Stick the threaded part through the shock hole and put to nut on. Tighten it and pull the spring into the pocket until you can get the nut on the ball joint.
Tim
Thanks for the info.Tim

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I put my spring compressor a couple of coils from the end with the shaft coming out the bottom and they went right in. Now they have to come out because the springs or too stiff.:mad:
I'm in the same boat as you, any idea on what rating you are going to go with?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
In all honesty, if you don't know the proper and---->safe way to install them, you should find someone who does. Coil springs can and do maim and kill people. There's some tricks to doing them and a chain wrapped through the spring so it can't fly out is one.

Be careful, Jim
X2 I saw pictures of an old coworker that took a coil to his face. I cant beilve he lived. He had to have his face completely rebuilt. Nose, chin, teeth, and eye sockets. Please everyone be careful I know Im guilty of cutting corners in my garage due to ignorance of how to properly do something but we all have this site to ask and learn. Oh yea and he was properly using it the threads failed but he didnt have a sadfety chain or cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts