Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '66 coupe I did solve my TCI coil spring problem. The 350 lb/in coils TCI originally delivered were way too strong and the suspension was topped out. The 300's they sent me later were still too stiff, car was too high and shook the hood and fenders. The 275's I bought from Heidts dropped the car 2", too low, but the ride was a good match for the rear multileafs so I installed Heidt's urethane 3/4" spacers and presto; The lower A arms are perfect, nearly parallel to the ground, the ride is great and the stance is just right. Too bad it took 4 tries to get it right. I also put Energy Suspension rack and pinion urethane bushings in the MII rack. The original rubber ones were splitting. I called TCI and they said they are suppose to split. I don't think so. The urethane ones will last forever.
So happy me and now I can move on to the next phase of the project, the interior where sound deadening is my goal. I want to hear my stereo when I finally put on in. I've got a layer of Peel and Seal everywhere and I won't stop there. I may put a second layer on the firewall.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Since I actually got my car running, the springs are next. I have an aluminum LS1 with a Muncie, A/C and PS. So you think the 300s would be too stiff for me? Did the spacers work OK? Where do you get the urethane bushings for the R&P? I didn't like them when I was installing them.

I don't think a big block with a cast iron Allison could budge the springs they sent with the front end kit :mad: .

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I'm running the 300's in mine with the Heidts & LS1 / T56 and I find them way too soft....but it could be the shocks are not that good. I wonder what I need to replace them with? Will start a new post.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have the TCI in my car. Is there any way to tell which springs (350lbs-300lbs ect.) that I have. Maybe a TCI stamp or # of coils? Also did the car drop at all going from 350 to 300?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I have read that there may be a colored band on them when they come from TCI but I forget what color represents what.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have read that there may be a colored band on them when they come from TCI but I forget what color represents what.
I would be interested if anyone has this information....

FYI, not sure what lbs. they are but the ones that came with my kit have a red dot on the flat end of the spring

I also put Energy Suspension rack and pinion urethane bushings in the MII rack. The original rubber ones were splitting. I called TCI and they said they are suppose to split. I don't think so. The urethane ones will last forever.
is this a driving car? if so, did this change the feel of the steering? or anything else you noticed.... part #'s .....? thanks

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I ordered 300 pounders from Heidts Monday. I will let everyone know what they do after they get put in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TCI springs can be mis marked as 300#/in

Since I actually got my car running, the springs are next. I have an aluminum LS1 with a Muncie, A/C and PS. So you think the 300s would be too stiff for me? Did the spacers work OK? Where do you get the urethane bushings for the R&P? I didn't like them when I was installing them.

I don't think a big block with a cast iron Allison could budge the springs they sent with the front end kit :mad: .
TCI admitted that they sent me 350# springs by mistake. They had a green dot on them but they were not 300#. The 300's they sent had no mark on them but were still too stiff. The 275's were from Heidt's and had 1/2 coil more on them and had the same wire diameter. They are softer but match the new multi leaf's ride and with the urethane spacer (3/4") the height is just right. The spacers were not easy to get in. They have a hat shape that is the same size as the spring ID. You have to push that part in with a screwdriver before the spring is fully seated. Kinda tricky.

Now I have no more shaking fenders and hood. I suspect the 300# springs TCI sent weren't much softer than the 350's originally sent. I trust Heidt's spring rates more than TCI's. They cost $100 plus $20 shipping. I'll bet if i'd of ordered 300's from Heidts, they would be correct and not need the spacer. I hope to not R&R springs for a long time. One spring jumped while my finger was close by and I imagined my life as a mechanic without a finger. No thanks.

I got Energy Suspension bushings for my MII rack from Autozone. Be sure you know what year your rack is. It makes a difference in what bushings you need.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be interested if anyone has this information....

FYI, not sure what lbs. they are but the ones that came with my kit have a red dot on the flat end of the spring

is this a driving car? if so, did this change the feel of the steering? or anything else you noticed.... part #'s .....? thanks
I believe a red dot means 350#/in, I know green dot means 300#/in
My car is a daily driver and the urethane is firm and will never split. they feel fine.
Energy suspension lists MII bushings for several applications. I called TCI and they said my rack was from a T Bird. I used these for mine: #4.10103-G

http://www.streetperformance.com/pa...k-and-pinion-bushing-kit/491817-410103-g.html

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
My springs from Heidt's came yesterday, $99 plus shipping. Great service and reasonable shipping. I compressed one last night before I painted it and it seemed easier to compress than the ones TCI sent in my kit. The guy at Heidt's said he had heard TCI had been shipping 350s. As soon as they are on I will let everyone know how is sets. I can get a video of the LS1 starting too.

·
Registered
968 Posts
TCI admitted that they sent me 350# springs by mistake. They had a green dot on them but they were not 300#. The 300's they sent had no mark on them but were still too stiff. The 275's were from Heidt's and had 1/2 coil more on them and had the same wire diameter. They are softer but match the new multi leaf's ride and with the urethane spacer (3/4") the height is just right. The spacers were not easy to get in. They have a hat shape that is the same size as the spring ID. You have to push that part in with a screwdriver before the spring is fully seated. Kinda tricky.

Now I have no more shaking fenders and hood. I suspect the 300# springs TCI sent weren't much softer than the 350's originally sent. I trust Heidt's spring rates more than TCI's. They cost $100 plus $20 shipping. I'll bet if i'd of ordered 300's from Heidts, they would be correct and not need the spacer. I hope to not R&R springs for a long time. One spring jumped while my finger was close by and I imagined my life as a mechanic without a finger. No thanks.

I got Energy Suspension bushings for my MII rack from Autozone. Be sure you know what year your rack is. It makes a difference in what bushings you need.
Did they explain why they had a green dot on them.the reason i am asking is mine have a green dot on them and they seem real stiff.With the engine in place and no other sheetmetal,bumpers,etc. on, the lower A-arms are far from being level.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
How do you get the a arms level ? My springs bow like this ( ) with the weight of the car on them i have no idea what springs they are i bought mt heidts front clip used from a guy who had a 67 it had a sbc in it same as mine

·
Registered
968 Posts
How do you get the a arms level ? My springs bow like this ( ) with the weight of the car on them i have no idea what springs they are i bought mt heidts front clip used from a guy who had a 67 it had a sbc in it same as mine
We have the same problem.My A-arms are far from being level and my springs are bowed( ) like yours to the extent of touching the upper balljoint.
I went to the TCI site to see if i could find some info. and it says to put about 200 miles and they should settle.
If you look at the instructions they have on installing the clip their springs only have 6 coils.I know that is for a guide,but it is deceiving.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Anyone know if TCI will take back the springs they sent in the kit (still unsued, wrapped in plastic) for a swap for the lower rate springs?

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
They usually will exchange them if they are in perfect resaleable condition. Call and ask for JR. Tell him Tim at Tim's Hot Rods told you to call. You would have to pay the shipping both ways. If he can't help let me know.
Tim

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
We have the same problem.My A-arms are far from being level and my springs are bowed( ) like yours to the extent of touching the upper balljoint.
I went to the TCI site to see if i could find some info. and it says to put about 200 miles and they should settle.
If you look at the instructions they have on installing the clip their springs only have 6 coils.I know that is for a guide,but it is deceiving.
ive driven mine every where and they havent done sheeeeet !!!!! ive had my driving for well over a year :yes:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks Tim, I'll have to call, they have never been taken out of the original plastic....

still wondering if anyone knows for sure what the colors stand for.....

Novadream said Red is 350 Green is 300, can anyone confirm this? Maybe take a little bit of the guess work out for some....

I'm hoping that through you guys I can put my springs in only once....instead of in and out trial and error.....

It seems stupid that we are spending thousands on parts and still having to wonder what the right set up is.... these frames aren't new, the trial and error period should be long over....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TCI mismarked springs

Did they explain why they had a green dot on them.the reason i am asking is mine have a green dot on them and they seem real stiff.With the engine in place and no other sheetmetal,bumpers,etc. on, the lower A-arms are far from being level.
Now that I think about it, a green dot was not on my first set from TCI but they told me that they were actually 350's. They replaced them with another pair of green dot springs, saying they were 300's Although they had the same number of coils as the 350's. They were still too stiff. The Heidt's 275's have 1/2 coil more on them (as a softer spirng should) and are softer but i like the ride.

You should have everything bolted on the car before you decide. I have all my stuff on the car except the heater and carpets. 300's = too tall and stiff, even after 500 miles. The 275's with 3/4" urethane spacer = level lower A arms and smooth ride. I don't think TCI"s 300# springs are really 300's. I'd bet Heidt's are actually 300 lb/in. Worth the $100. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Now that I think about it, a green dot was not on my first set from TCI but they told me that they were actually 350's. They replaced them with another pair of green dot springs, saying they were 300's Although they had the same number of coils as the 350's. They were still too stiff. The Heidt's 275's have 1/2 coil more on them (as a softer spirng should) and are softer but i like the ride.

You should have everything bolted on the car before you decide. I have all my stuff on the car except the heater and carpets. 300's = too tall and stiff, even after 500 miles. The 275's with 3/4" urethane spacer = level lower A arms and smooth ride. I don't think TCI"s 300# springs are really 300's. I'd bet Heidt's are actually 300 lb/in. Worth the $100. Good luck with the build.
It will be awhile before i have the car put back together, so maybe the springs will settle while sitting:bounce::bounce:.All joking aside if i have to replace the springs i have with the Heidt's to get a good ride i won't mind.Do you have a part number for them?
Thanks for the info.
Mark

1 - 20 of 31 Posts