Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. I bought a Milodon OEM pan and put it on my 350 SBC. original motor mounts appeared to be to tall and motor wouldnt sit on motor mounts. I saw a thread that said to use Napa #602-1106 (early GM) or Energy suspension mounts #3.1114. I bought the Napa units and the front of my oil pan sits on the rack. Does anyone have any suggestions? there is a taller version of the Energy mount but the saddle width where the bolt goes through is to narrow. Looks like I need the tall measruement with the wide mount. HEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Had the same problem with mine. I spaced the rack out from the crossmember and that took care of it.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Wow!! I had, still do have, the same problem. I can just get a feeler gauge in there, but its not good at all. I so far dont see a problem, I dont like to have to think about it though. Its not "pushing" on the rack, but touching. I dont like it.

And you can move the rack down, but that may seriously mess with bumpsteer. If you move the rack down I would seriously consider changing the outer tie rod end to a joint to make up the diff in elevation. But thats alot of work. I even considered removing my pan and welding in a U tube to have some clearance. If it becomes an issue I will look at it more.

My first choice would be to pull the pan and modify it. For my setup. I dont want to raise the engine, its good, and really, I dont want to put the rack lower, its already at the extremes for bump steer.

Sounds like a pain in the *** but modifying the pan is the best route.

Now, Im gonna leave mine for now, dont know how much yours touches. My rack is solid mounted, steel bushings. And the rack is pretty stout, the pan will give. If it gives and makes its own clearance then Im fine with that. So far nothing wants to give. So that tells me it is close, but not THAT close. I know, hacker way of doing it. Im just not crazy about pulling my pan right now. JR

Oh, and I am using ES engine mounts too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am about 1/8" from resting on the rack. With about a 1/2" inch more to go to seat the passenger side motor mount. Is there really a difference in the front of the oil pan depth with different manufacturers? I thought of putting spacer plates between the motor mounts and the block. Any advice on a simple direction to go would be helpful. This problem looks like it may take some time to resolve. I trying to get this car together so I can relish in delight of riding around in a sweet ride.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Absolutely there is a difference. I have a TCI clip, a stock GM pan cleared but when I switched to my hamburger pan I had to notch the pan in the front.
Is yours power or manual rack?
Tg

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I am about 1/8" from resting on the rack. With about a 1/2" inch more to go to seat the passenger side motor mount.
Oh, I thought you had the engine mounted up. Its not? The pass side is still up off the mount and you see an 1/8" between the pan and rack and you dont want to lower the engine down?? For fear of resting the pan on the rack?

Gonna have to modify the pan or buy another one. Dont move the rack, its already too low. What a drag huh? Not what you want to be doing. You have the pan all sealed up to the block, ready to go. Unfortunately, you are gonna have to remove the pan. Either to get a diff one or modify the one you have, which would be simple. But it still means pulling the engine and pan off the block. Bummer.... JR

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have a manual rack. I am still off the passenger side mount with about 1/2" left to go and only have about 1/8" before I hit the rack. I dont understand how some guys have no problem with a stock pan and some different. Aftermarket parts not having consistent dimensions I guess. I was think about ordering the Energy suspension mounts. they seem to have a slightly higher center distance on the block to the center of the bolt. Any easy suggestions will help. Thanks for all your input. Just want to get this car on the road to show off my work.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts