Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

While my automatic transmission is being built, I'm now pondering which brand of stall converter to run. I know I need somewhere in the neighborhood of 2400RPM stall because of my engine. I've used a TCI Saturday Night Special in an '86 Corvette I had a while back and was very happy. While almost all my friends recommend TCI, the B&M converters are picking my interest. So here's the two converters: TCI Break-A-Way or B&M Holeshot 2400. Which one would you use?

Jason

·
Registered
151 Posts
well, given the chioces, i would go with the tci. i have used both suppliers on rebuilds and convertors. i like the tci because they seem to be more thourough and consistant with their product. i have a bte or tbe, cant remember, convertor in the 70 now. acts good and stalls around 3200 behind a healthy 406. but with the choices given, i would go tci.
my .02
eric

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
i sold my B&M nitrous holeshot and bought a redneck performance converter. im VERY happy with it!!

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
B&M makes valve covers - not converters!!!!

Go for a JW... http://www.racewithjw.com/

I balloned my B&M before I realized they were valve cover experts ONLY... Send them a dyno sheet and they match you with a conv... HA..! so much for their return policy too...!!!

JW Conv... best I ever owned... P

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If you wanna stick with a big brand name then you can't beat ATI. Otherwise for that mild of an application I'd just call around and see what everyone had to say. Several people seem to be happy with their Redneck, BTE, TCI and several others so it's really all a matter of who will give you what you want/need at a decent price..

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Biggest mistake on my first transmission build was using a BM holeshot 2,400...bleck!

Worst of all...The next time around, I got a converter custom made by a local company for about $20 LESS than I paid for the B&M--and they guaranteed it would be correct for my application, and if not they would tear it apart and re-tune it to my liking FREE.

I'd +1 for going with ATI or Redneck. While I haven't used either, I've heard wayyyy more positive than BM/Hughes. There are a lot of Redneck Performance fans on this forum that will sing praises. Look 'em up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
B&M, TCI, & many others aren't built for your particular mods. I use ProTorque. They had it custom built in 2 days. You have to tell them tire diameter, gear ratio, cam size, nitrous.... There are so many factors that one off the shelf can't account for. These aren't cheap but well worth it!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
B&M sucks I think. TCI converter in my car now (rebuilt by Coan though). B&M quality sucks major, probably ranks up there in performance parts with Fisher Price and Matel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts