Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know or have access to measure the length of their TCI second gen A arms. I ordered standard legth and just want to check and see if I got the right ones. I measured from the shaft center to the center of the ball joint. The bottoms are 13 1/4" and the tops are 8".
Thanks

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, I have a 1st gen with TCI mustang II arms. I just measured mine. Exactly, 13.25 and 8 inches. Any help? JR

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JR. Are yours 'standard' length? TCI offers standard and 5/8 shorter. Tom G ordered the shorter ones and thought they were a bit too narrow and if his are shorter than mine I can see what he means. Good thing I like the skinny wheel tucked in funny car look because I've got PLENTY of room.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thanks JR. Are yours 'standard' length? TCI offers standard and 5/8 shorter. Tom G ordered the shorter ones and thought they were a bit too narrow and if his are shorter than mine I can see what he means. Good thing I like the skinny wheel tucked in funny car look because I've got PLENTY of room.
Hey Mike. To be honest I dont know if they are the 5/8" shorter arms. I bought them in 1995 and cant seem to remember :no: Brain cells have gone to sleep. But just thinking about it they are prolly the standard length cause back then there wasnt an option as far as I know for shorter arms. Or it wasnt offered to me anyway. JR

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JR, they probably are standard since ours are the same lengths yet different brands.

64PRO I wanna say the width was 56 1/2" Dont hold me to that as I dont remember but that number keeps coming to mind. I cant get to the front end of the car right now but will measure this weekend. Some dirtbag broke into my truck and I couldnt figure out why they didnt take anything then my wife figured out that all they took was the garage door opener! Thus the lockdown mode for the garage.

The reason for the question was two fold, one the apparent narrow width which isnt really a problem. IVe got late model GM discs on it now and will probably go with the Wilwoods which will push them out some. The other reason is it almost seems as if maybe I had regular length top arms and shorter bottoms. Reason I thought this might be possible is because at close to zero camber the top arms are almost all the way in on the adjustment. If you really wanted a lot of negative camber (which you wouldnt) you couldnt get much. Adding caster will help but it looks like theres a lot built into these clips already. Again, I dont see a problem with any of this but just wanted to see if I got what I ordered. From JR's measurements it looks like they're right.

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
IVe got late model GM discs on it now and will probably go with the Wilwoods which will push them out some.
If you go with the standard Wilwood MII hubs and caliper brackets, they will push the wheel width out about 3/4". But you can now buy the new Wilwood zero offset hubs with the Heidts relocated caliper brackets and keep the same width you have now.

56.5" is about perfect if you want to slam the front end down. If you go all the way down you will still have some turning radius limitation (fender to tire) but it will still look good. My 66 currently has 57" and it looks OK but I'm taking it to 56" with my new clip.

·
Vendor
1,232 Posts
I just went out to my shop and measured my TCI 5/8" narrowed a-arms. The upper is 7.25" from the center of the cross shaft to the center of the ball joint grease zerk. The lower is 12.625"
Tim

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
If you still need to push your wheels out some you can run Granada rotors which will push them out approx another .5" each side. You need to get different caliper brackets if you do this.

Tg

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went out to my shop and measured my TCI 5/8" narrowed a-arms. The upper is 7.25" from the center of the cross shaft to the center of the ball joint grease zerk. The lower is 12.625"
Tim

Well I guess I have the right ones, Thanks guys.

Tim, I'll be in touch about the column/steering shaft kit and probably a Wilwood upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts