Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the approximate labor time to remove OE rear differential/springs/hangers etc. and to then install a
TCI street/strip 4-link rear suspension with 9" Ford differential?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Howdy from another Texan. I installed a TCI 4 link in my '63 but I did not keep up with my time, wish I had. I have a lot of pictures I could share. You might contact TCI and see if they can give you the estimated hours. Here are some starter pictures. Note the name Reeves on the wall, oddly enough we share the same first and last name.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TCI Info

Thanks for the reply! Nice to know I am not the only Reeves boy tackling one of these beasts. I had a good idea of the labor amt. but had the car at a builder and figured he was ripping me off. AND judging from others who have responded I was right. I've worked on drag cars and hot rods most of my life and knew it was a rip off to have charged me 40 hours labor. Last time I checked that's 5 - 8 hour days NO WAY. I just needed it in writing to jam it up his butt. Rip off builder is HATFIELD RESTORATIONS in Canton, TX. TELL EVERYBODY

Now have car at A&R Classic Restorations in Emory. There is two pictures of it on my daughter's Facebook. They just started on it. Her name is Jennifer Reeves if you can get to her page. Will need to scroll down some.

Where are you? Let me know if I can help with tracking parts etc. I have 2 sets of OE bucket seats I'll sell once my car is done.
Jim Reeves Tyler, TX Site wouldn't let me put my e-mail address

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow

Your car looks great. We will have ours done as soon as A&R finishes it. We are using Foose Huntington Blue Pearl paint. He used it on several cars and a truck on Overhaulin. 350HO crate engine, 700R4 and black interior. Used same hood as yours and similar wheels. Ours is a true SS. It is our daughter's car. It's about ready for paint.

We also have a 69 RS/SS Camaro convertible. Needs a little work but will also have it to A&R as soon as he can take it. I have health problems and unable to work on them myself anymore.

Thanks for the pictures. I did not realize you were done with your car. We come to Carrollton once in awhile to Parker Power.

Jim Reeves
Tyler, x
903-316-2129

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
4 link time

I have to say i dont think 40 hours to complete that job is not far off if they are painting the parts that alone is 1 to 1.5 days.

The 4 link is a 2.5 days paint and prep of parts 2 days + exhaust ?

If they never did this job it always takes a little more time, i always mock everything up and the remove it and paint it and reinstall.

If your tubing you have some extra fab work that also add time .
Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply.

Everything was already powder coated except differential and it installed mocked up in primer for painting later. When I questioned the 4o hours he got a funny look on his face and said "we had to drill all those holes."

Once burned Once learned

Thanks again
Jim Reeves
Tyler, TX

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
40 hours is probably a little excessive but the hours it would take would depend on the quality of the work that is done. Everything that is already under the car has to be removed and it does take time to remove the factory spring hangers and pinion support along with other stuff that needs to be done to clean everything up for a nice install. After everything is cleaned you have to install the whole thing only to tear it back apart to be painted/powdercoated. After everything is prepped and painted it all has to be put back together. If you were to add in a mini tub job I'm not sure it could be done in forty hours if the person doing the work took time to make it nice. The first one I did took a lot longer than forty hours. I'm sure the second would be quicker. Another thing that would make the job quicker or take longer is where the work is done. A lift or rotisserie would speed things up. It is a lot harder working on a car if you have to work from underneath it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
car

Hey Jim. We both live in the same area. Hope things are going well on your build. I generally work on my own cars 65 nova/72 C10. If you ever need a hand, give me a call. Lee 903/521/4694.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I’d have to agree with snolon that 40 hours does not sound completely unreasonable. There’s a lot of details involved to a completed install and that adds up in time spent. With only one man working on it theoretically 40 hours would be five days. If more then one man working the 40 man hrs. is used up quicker.

You might also consider beefing up the rear subrails as some others have noted that the quarter panels have subsequently buckled when switching to coil over multi link suspensions. The buckling shows up between the door and front of the rear wheel well.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624361

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TCI install

Thanks for the reply. I will mention the buckling issue to builder. Now using A&R Classic Restorations in Emory, TX.

Jim Reeves
Tyler, TX
903-316-2129

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
1st off -- 'starship972 - Jim' -- Happy New Year , buddy.
and, Lake Highlands HS ain't even close to Carrollton .... :eek: ....
just pulling u'r leg, Jim.

My younger sister was living in Carrollton , we thought about going back this year , but, may-be in '19.

'Tyler,Tx Jim' -- way back when, my family used to have "our Family Reunions" at the park in "Canton, Tx". --- along time back. I most likely still have family around there -- (my Grandparents (ESKUE) lived in Edgewood, after they retired) -- I grew up-in-Garland - 50,60,70, & 80's).

THEN, my Dad was born in Emory ............ and, my Mom was born in Point --- THE 'BIG City' back then ..... (just a store & crossroads -in the mid-1920's)

Thanks for th' memories ........................... 'it's a small world, here in the USA'

and --- Welcome to SNS

:waving:

Chino Valley , jim

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
1st off -- 'starship972 - Jim' -- Happy New Year , buddy.
and, Lake Highlands HS ain't even close to Carrollton .... :eek: ....
just pulling u'r leg, Jim.

My younger sister was living in Carrollton , we thought about going back this year , but, may-be in '19.

'Tyler,Tx Jim' -- way back when, my family used to have "our Family Reunions" at the park in "Canton, Tx". --- along time back. I most likely still have family around there -- (my Grandparents (ESKUE) lived in Edgewood, after they retired) -- I grew up-in-Garland - 50,60,70, & 80's).

THEN, my Dad was born in Emory ............ and, my Mom was born in Point --- THE 'BIG City' back then ..... (just a store & crossroads -in the mid-1920's)

Thanks for th' memories ........................... 'it's a small world, here in the USA'

and --- Welcome to SNS

:waving:

Chino Valley , Jim

Happy New Year back to you Chino Jim!
If you come to Carrollton to visit your sister you would be welcome at our house.
Carrollton Jim

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
Happy New Year back to you Chino Jim!
If you come to Carrollton to visit your sister you would be welcome at our house.
Carrollton Jim

10-4

if/when that happens.. u'll get a PM ...... Thanks

jim

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Looking at my photos, we stripped out the old parts after work one day. Next day the first shot was at noon, the last around 4:30. The next day first shot was about 2-1/2 hours before we were done--including snaking 3" exhaust to fit.
All told maybe 3 days if you include cleaning, painting, welding and routing exhaust...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Depends on the quality, 40 hrs does not seem unreasonable to me, it certainly doesn't qualify as a rip off, if he's never done it he's giving his best judgement. Labor rate can also be a factor. Just curious what is the other shop estimating hour wise and what are the dollar amounts of each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts