Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks to Pro-Touring for the great wiring diagram. My question is will 30 amp. relays work on the low speed side. My local parts store cannot find any 40 amp. relays.
I got this project done but not without troubles. I got all my parts and started wiring everything. Got a hobby box to put the relays in and mounted it under the battery tray. Finally got it wired up with the thermostat controler using a butane lighter started heating the capillary tube well I heard the controller click and fan didn't come on. Crap so I decided to ground the wire for the high fan and nothing crap again. So I ckecked the ground and it wasn't grounding have high fan now. So heated,heated, and heated the capillary tube again and never did click to turn on low speed. So now I start checking voltage and it has power going through controller all the time (that's not right) but the fan should be running but its not. So check my wiring and its all OK and know I can't figure out whats going on an I'm getting mad. I decide to go to local salvage to get a couple relays I hook them up and know everything is working like its suppose too (only after 2 relays and a thermostat controller going bad).

I did change one thing on the wiring diagram from what was on it. Instead of the 100 amp. in-line fuse to the junction block I run a hot wire to the block and come off the junction block with a 30 amp. inline fuse and a 60 amp. inline fuse. Because with a 100 amp. fuse in it will not protect the relays.

Please dont forget about my question will the 30 amp. relays work ok. I did read that on high the fan only pulls 40 amps. after it starts up so I'm quessing the 30 amp. relays will be ok for the low. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you go to your local dismantling yard you can easily pick up some 70amp bosch relays from german cars. I just picked up two 70 amp relays out of some Audi's for $4 each at u-pull-it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have the hayden controller on my car and it work just fine on low speed.
Low speed seems to keep the car below 190. The fan comes on while sitting in the garage, but on the road it stays cool.
I use a fused circuit and a toggle switch for high speed. The high speed is just for emergencies.
I have led's so I can tell when the fan is on...blue light special.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts