Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. How tall of an intake manifold could I get away with under the hood of my stock 73 hood? Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think I ran the summit version of the edelbrock (non air gap) rpm on the 73 I had - I ended up getting a 2" cowl hood though so I could run a better air cleaner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I ran the summit version of the edelbrock (non air gap) rpm on the 73 I had - I ended up getting a 2" cowl hood though so I could run a better air cleaner.
Thank you wolfman. Sounds like a tight fit. I want a single plane. I'm guessing a Victor Jr is too big. I think a Torker might work?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Torker absolutely sucks as a power maker....only use I've got for a Torker is a doorstop. Worst intake for power Edelbrock makes.

I've put a Vic Jr, a 1" spacer and Holley DP under the stock hood on my '72, using a 14" diameter drop base(1.25") open element air cleaner, and I had a 4" tall element in that. The Tri-wing air cleaner nut just rubbed on the hood insulation panel. with just a plain old wingnut it cleared everything.

I've also had a Super Victor and the same carb and air cleaner, no carb spacer, under the same hood. 406 SBC, mid 11 sec 1/4 street/strip car..
The Super is almost 1" taller than the standard Vic.

I was surprised just how much height would fit under a stone stock '68-74 hood. When the motor goes back in I'm going to see if the 1" spacer and the Super Vic will fit if I take the hood insulation out of the center panel in the hood.. I'm betting it will.

For anyone who might also look, the same combos will fit under the '75-79 stock hood also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Torker absolutely sucks as a power maker....only use I've got for a Torker is a doorstop. Worst intake for power Edelbrock makes.

I've put a Vic Jr, a 1" spacer and Holley DP under the stock hood on my '72, using a 14" diameter drop base(1.25") open element air cleaner, and I had a 4" tall element in that. The Tri-wing air cleaner nut just rubbed on the hood insulation panel. with just a plain old wingnut it cleared everything.

I've also had a Super Victor and the same carb and air cleaner, no carb spacer, under the same hood. 406 SBC, mid 11 sec 1/4 street/strip car..
The Super is almost 1" taller than the standard Vic.

I was surprised just how much height would fit under a stone stock '68-74 hood. When the motor goes back in I'm going to see if the 1" spacer and the Super Vic will fit if I take the hood insulation out of the center panel in the hood.. I'm betting it will.

For anyone who might also look, the same combos will fit under the '75-79 stock hood also.
Ah ha! This is what I wanted to hear! I thought there was more room. Thanks for chiming in!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I probably should also have mentioned I have a Moroso solid motor mount on the drivers side....with a rubber mount it may move enough to be a problem if you are close enough to rub the insulation..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all. How tall of an intake manifold could I get away with under the hood of my stock 73 hood? Thanks in advance guys!
Wadded up aluminum foil can give accurate est of how much room u have. Just close the hood to crunch it up.Don't ferget to add cold air induction. It's always worth it for more & consistant power

1 - 8 of 8 Posts