Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
E=Mc2 The formula E=Mc2 is the formula used to find the energy output of an object. Energy equals mass times velocity squared. The mass of the object times the velocity it is moving which is multiplied by itself. :confused: RICK

·
Registered
315 Posts
this is a good question.
I was reading into this and found some really good stuff at this site which sells TKO 600 tranny conversions and has some really cool tech info.
http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/startlineratio.html

theres a lot of good pages on that site talking about that in particular, with trans first gear ratios, rear end ratios and tire diameter.
That site advises a start ratio of 9 10 or 11.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm seriously considering the TKO 600 five speed which has a 2.87 first gear ratio which is much deeper than a muncie or T350, with my 3.73 rear gear its a start line ratio of 10.7 to one which is on the deep end of things but I've got 27 inch tall tires, might help a little.
Phillip has this rear gear and trans and tire height and said he really likes it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was looking at a muncie m22w 2.55 1st gear with my 3.55 rear gives a 9.08 ratio.26 inch tire 3000 rpm =65mph

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The 355 and M22 are not the most ideal gear IMO, I much prefer 373 with an M20's first gear. Ideally I'd like 1 more gear on the top end though. The lower the first gear the easier the car will be to start off and the easier it will be on the clutch. With your car being even lighter then my 3rd gen, the large difference from 1st to 2nd will be less noticeable too.:yes:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i was looking at a muncie m22w 2.55 1st gear with my 3.55 rear gives a 9.08 ratio.26 inch tire 3000 rpm =65mph
What engine? The more low end torque you have the less gear you'll need. Some of the 80's Camaro's/Z-28's had a borg warner Super T-10 four speed with like a 3.31 first gear to make it work with an anemic 305 engine and 3.42 or 3.08 rearends.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I used to have an M20 w/4.11,28" tire and 28LB flywheel.Easy to start off and plod along in traffic.New combo is M22 close ratio(which I thought might work better with the 4.11 gear)and 15LB flywheel.Same tire and gear.Takes more thought to get underway and will start bucking at slow speeds if you don't pay attention.I'm sure some of that is flywheel weight but the M20's lower first gear was much nicer for everyday use.I wish I would have ordered the M22W.I will probably go back to a heavier flywheel next time it's apart.That combo of M22W,3.55 and 26" tire sounds not too bad but the 3.73 would be better if you don't need to hum along at highway speed very often.Would be similar to my initial setup that I really liked.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with that 3.73 rear does it make first gear really short though? obviousley i'm trying to get the best of both worlds here without going to 5 speed

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I don't think it's that short, my CTS has less first gear and even it doesn't run out to soon. I can start my CTS with little to not throttle, and it was easy for both my children to learn to drive, 1st gear is a 3.50 and I think the rear is 373 or close to it. It's not until you get up into mid to 400 rear gears that 1st starts to run out noticeably quick with the M22 or even an M20.

The M21 and 22 close ratio were more desirable in heavier cars because the RPM drop from first to 2nd with the wide ratio M20 it was more noticeable when racing. It's isn't that obvious on the street, even with some spirited driving IMO.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I didn't find first gear short at all even with the 4.11/28" tire but the steeper gear also lessens the spacing to second.I had a warmed up 327 with my M20 maybe 350+ HP.Tires would spin well into second gear.Certainly didn't bog from the wider spacing.I would say with the HP you are planning in a light car the 3.73 would be great if most driving is city and it will accelerate harder.I think you will find more inconvenience in the highway RPM aspect of the 4-speed than the first 3 gears regardless of diff choice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Intended use is more critical IMO.

If you race it then shoot for top of fourth gear in the lights.

If you primarily street drive it and highway use is a plan...worry about the cruise rpm and related fuel mileage.

I've run an M20 and a 3.55 rear...26 inch tire...no issues.

I now run a TKO600 with a 4.11 and a 24 inch tire...no issues.

I think the shorter geared the car is, the easier it is to launch at the drags...such as my combo. The highway gears are proportionally harder.

I like mine short on the street...engine is a willing rever to 7200 rpm though. Highway is 2750 rpm at 75 mph...and ~15 mpg.

·
Registered
407 Posts
does anyone know what first gear was in a t10 that originally came out of a 63 vet? just wondering so i could figure what im at. I guess they probly came in a variety of options tho huh? I have the mt sportsman 275/60/15 and I believe the limited slip 3.08 rear gear. I know i know wack.

T107D/ 3813490/ T10D-1
/D, 25, 63, 1
tail shaft says 1-11-63

if not no biggie. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts